40kw Boiler in 3 Bed Bungalow

Just to clarify: your first post mentions £2/3K bills. Later you say you are using £6 per day if GAS ONLY, in the winter.

So, us the £ 2/3K for gas AND electric?

Sponsored Links
Hi Fireman,

First post was referencing projections for cost from suppliers when entering the usage to date - not actual bills, can't recall if it was combined or Gas only.

The £6 per day was Gas only.

If I understand you correctly, you have not stated, or do not know, the ACTUAL gas usage from the meter, for a 12-month period or for a winter month.

Payments and projections are not reliable.

Have you got your old gas bills, and do they show accurate (not estimated) meter readings? If not, have a look on your supplier's website.

I've run the 2 minute usage test on 3 different outlets with results below:

Kitchen Tap (Mixer but full on Hot)
Start: 2294.557 End: 2294.653 Used: 0.096 m3/h: 2.88

Shower (Electronic Mixer, on usual heat setting)
Start: 2294.653 End: 2294.721 Used: 0.068 m3/h: 2.04

Hot Bath Tap
Start: 2294.721 End: 2294.82 Used: 0.099 m3/h: 2.97

I've also forced the boiler onto CH for 2 mins by upping the Thermostat and swapped temperature in between for reference. I waited until the gas ignited before starting timing and waited until the gas stopped before taking the reading after.

CH Boiler at 65c (Normal)
Start: 2294.82 End: 2294.903 Used: 0.083 m3/h: 2.49

CH Boiler at 55c
Start: 2294.903 End: 2294.97 Used: 0.067 m3/h: 2.01

CH Boiler at 75c
Start: 2294.97 End: 2295.07 Used: 0.1 m3/h: 3

Hopefully these will be useful to someone :)

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly, you have not stated, or do not know, the ACTUAL gas usage from the meter, for a 12-month period or for a winter month.

Payments and projections are not reliable.

Have you got your old gas bills, and do they show accurate (not estimated) meter readings? If not, have a look on your supplier's website.

Yes I kept all the bills.

The first bill I have showed a starting reading of 0 (when we had the new meter installed at the end of Sep last year). Today it reads 2295.07 m3 which I make to be about 25621.7 kwh for the 12 months.

As for a Winter month, the bill of Jan 17 - Feb 19 showed usage of 4242 kwh for gas.

about 25621.7 kwh for the 12 months.

As for a Winter month, the bill of Jan 17 - Feb 19 showed usage of 4242 kwh for gas.

So I think your 12 month usage would cost about £1250 plus standing charge.

4242 divided by 60 days is 70 kWh per day. About 6 cu.m per day which is not unusual for cold weather, depending how warm you like the house, if you have CWI, if you keep the internal doors open, etc.

I can't see two or three thousand pounds in those numbers.

So I think your 12 month usage would cost about £1250 plus standing charge.

4242 divided by 60 days is 70 kWh per day. About 6 cu.m per day which is not unusual for cold weather, depending how warm you like the house, if you have CWI, if you keep the internal doors open, etc.

Thanks John, but why 60 days?

Jan, Feb.

Did you mean for a single month?

I track my meter readings and note average daily use per month.

Winter is 6 or 7 cu.m per day

Summer is 0.5 to 1 cu.m per day

That's a lot.

If that's not making your house warm, where is the heat going?

Hot water leak?

Swimming pool?

Tropical greenhouse?

Heating a neighbour's home?

I didn't say it's not making it warm :) House feels ok with Thermo set at 20.5c - just seems expensive to me.

Not seen any evidence of leaks (yet).

Yes I kept all the bills.

The first bill I have showed a starting reading of 0 (when we had the new meter installed at the end of Sep last year). Today it reads 2295.07 m3 which I make to be about 25621.7 kwh for the 12 months.

You say you have actually USED 25621Kw?
At 3p per kWh, that is less than £700 per year. Plus, of course, a standing charge - which can be about £200

Were any of the numbers on the bill Estimates?

You say you have actually USED 25621Kw?
At 3p per kWh, that is less than £700 per year. Plus, of course, a standing charge - which can be about £200

Think it was around £680 for the units and £80 for the standing for Gas only. Is this not a lot? That's kinda where all of this came from, just felt expensive to me - if it's not then we're good.

I track my meter readings and note average daily use per month.

Winter is 6 or 7 cu.m per day

Summer is 0.5 to 1 cu.m per day

That's with a condensing boiler and a cylinder. If you have a combi your summer usage might be higher.

If your usage is somewhat similar, it's within normal range.

It's not two or three thousand pounds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back