Interfering Wireless Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 months a go i had a new baxi main combi boiler fitted to my house. I also paid a little extra to have a digital wireless thermostat fitted.
The thermostat is mounted on the wall in my hall way and the boiler is fitted in the bedroom in a massive cuboard we have.

My wife kept moaning saying the boiler keeps coming on, on its own after looking if i turn the temp right down on the thermostat to turn the boiler off then put the thermostat to sleep thats fine but about an hour later the boiler will fire back up and the rads are red hot but the thermostat is still sleep?? :?: some one has told me it could be my internet interfering with it as they are both rather close.
Is there any thing i can do? any help on this would be greatly thanked. :D

Sponsored Links
im no expert but when i was the internet could be the problem i laughed, the plumber has told me he can change the code on the thermostat so it wont get interfered with anything and it will work, does this sound about right?

Nope... Plumber sounds like an idiot.

Give him the tin foil hat.

Trust me. I have every wireless device you can conceive, including wireless heating related devices you and your installer can't imagine even exist, and the internet doesn't interfere with any of them.

If your installer can't give you a sensible answer, call Baxi in - but they might charge you if the installation isn't as per the manual. I would make sure your installer knows that ;)

Sponsored Links
your saying there its a problem with the boiler, could it be a problem with the reciever fitted below the boiler? one thing i thought was if the neighbours have the same thermostat? theres could be activiating my reciever to turn the boiler on?

Thanks again

Just another one, could it be a neighbours thermostat the same as mine turning mine on? :?:

Just another thought :rolleyes:

No... Wireless intervention is not the issue. How many crossed lines do you get on a a hands free kit in rush hour?

I boycotted Baxi/Potterton shlt long ago due to shlt electrics. So you could have a problem with the boiler or the thermostat. It is next to impossible to tell without being in front of the appliance. One thing I have NEVER had though is cross communication between devices.

The only "interference" I have experienced has been when the receiver was too close to a metal object like washing machines. But for every problem situation like that I have had installs work fine.

*edit* Radio nerds will be able to teach us both on attenuation of signals. But as mentioned before... Your internet is NOT the problem.

yea good point!

Well im armed with amo now for when the plumber comes today, thanks alot hes also mensioned changing the thermostat and reciever for a differnt one free of charge, so that will be happening

Thanks again

Just another one, could it be a neighbours thermostat the same as mine turning mine on? :?:

Just another thought :rolleyes:

To give you an idea...

I have 6 wireless hating thermostats in my house.

They talk to another wireless device that talks the three other wireless devices. Two of which talk to the other seven (I think :confused: ).

Along side that I have two separate wireless networks in my house. 3 neighbours with one a piece that I can connect to.

Also I have three DECT cordless phones, three mobiles, 2 Android tablets, one Laptop, One TV and a printer.

Not including all the Neighbours individual devices, and all the car Bluetooth stuff (4 of which are right outside the wall where our internet router is located),

So, if there was a risk of cross communication.... I would be experiencing it...

Oh, I forgot.. there is an iPod Touch in my van that is using the Wireless internet too.

yea good point!

Well im armed with amo now for when the plumber comes today, thanks alot hes also mensioned changing the thermostat and reciever for a differnt one free of charge, so that will be happening

Thanks again
#
Mae sure it is a Honeywell CM921 or CM927.

There is a chance it is an internal problem with the boiler, but it will be quicker and easier to change the stat first.

im not douting the boiler could be faulty just the boiler is brand new so makes me sway more for the thermostat and reciever, the reciever is lit up green which tells me its been given a signal :rolleyes:

Any way ill have him change the thermostat and reciever and see if that sorts the fault

Have your tried following the instructions for rebinding the two. It is not unknown for wireless stats to lose touch with their receivers. If there is am internal communications failure then the receiver can go into a fail safe mode to stop you from freezing.

:oops: Should have mentioned it earlier - my apologies. I am pished.

You could still have an issue with the boiler. Although I have been assured Baxi are much better now.

After looking through the internet i have found my make and model thermostat and reciever

Salus RT500RF Digital Electronic Thermostat with RF Wireless

your saying there its a problem with the boiler, could it be a problem with the reciever fitted below the boiler? one thing i thought was if the neighbours have the same thermostat? theres could be activiating my reciever to turn the boiler on?

Thanks again

It can happen that a neighbors wireless stat is interfering with yours ! its not common.

On some versions you can alter the codes to stop this, I've had it happen.
think yours is one of them !

thanks for that, ive read up on the salus and there webiste asvices to flip the lid on both thermostat and receveir and change code, to be honest all ive been reading up about on these sites is that salus is cheap sh!t,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back