40mm basin waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get a 40mm basin waste?

I bought a 32mm believing that this was the only possible size, and it was the same size as the one I was replacing. But when I took the old plughole out it was apparent that the hole was much larger than 32mm and whoever had installed the sink originally (10+ years ago) had used a generous amount of silicone to make up the difference (v messy to clean up)!!

So, can anyone point me in the right direction, or should I do the same and bodge it with loads of sealant?

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Slotted or unslotted?
Minimum length required to get through basin and attach to trap?
Maximum size flange you can get away with? (Std flange for a basin waste - 61mm. Std for a bath waste - 73mm)

Slotted
Minimum length about 70mm
Maximum flange size probably about 75mm

The diameter of the new bath waste I bought is probably ideal, if only it was longer and didn't have the overflow pipe coming off!!

Bob

The bath waste you've got sounds like a 'five star' - plastic body with a stainless steel screw down flange. Not suitable, as you said.

You want a Belfast sink waste. They have an 81mm flange, are about 80 to 85mm long, are slotted and are 40mm/11/2". Actual diameter of thread is about 48mm.

I'm fairly sure you won't find a 40mm/11/2" waste with a flange 75mm or smaller, other than a flush grated shower waste.

What is the diameter of the hole in the basin?

Sponsored Links
The diameter of a 32mm/11/4” basin waste thread is about 42/43mm. This would be the correct size for a basin with a hole of 45mm.

How about is “about 45mm”?

Ah. It looks like I might have been stupid then......

I expected the waste to fit snugly in the hole and because there's a 2-3mm gap all the way round I assumed this meant I needed the next size up i.e. 40mm waste.

So, is it normal to have a gap then? And if so wouldn't any potential overflow water end up in the gap, sitting below the slots?

Another reason why I thought I had the wrong size was that when I tried it out, the water also leaked underneath the flange, but maybe this was because I didn't use enough silicone, or should have put a rubber washer between the flange and the basin.

Apologies if I've wasted your time, but I really do appreciate your help.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back