45 degrees celcius in my back garden today

Sponsored Links
A bit approx.
Conversion F toC>>
F -32,x5,divide by 9= C.
C to F >>
C +32,x9,divide by 5 = F.
Or....buy a calculator with conversion mode.
A lot easier!!

Got my F`s and C`s muddled.
45c=113f
C to F >>cx9,div by 5,+32 =f
Reverse procedure for f to c.

My head hurts.

Sponsored Links
Erm... why not just multiply by 1.8 and add 32? It is exactly the same as multiplying and dividing, just isn't such a convoluted way of explaining it ;)

Before you send off to the Met Office about the highest recorded temperature in the UK, the temperature they use when recording the weather is the temperature in the shade. Direct sunlight on a thermometer can give you very high temperatures (I have seen 70 celsius on a thermometer left in the sun on a day when it was probably 32 in the shade).

Highest "in the shade" temperatures on record:

UK 38.5 degrees (Kent, 2003)
USA 57 degrees (Death Valley in 1913)
World 58 degrees (Al' Aziziyah, Libya in 1922)

Of course, you could just use what you are comfortable using :D

I find celsius easier, because that is what I was brought up with. In fact, whenever I hear a temperature in F I convert it into C before I can make sense of it! But, there are a couple of sound reasons in favour of fahrenheit

1) finer scale (there are 1.8 degrees fahrenheit in 1 degree celsius)
2) more "natural" numbers (0 is bl**dy cold, 100 is bl**dy hot!)

Personally, I can't see it is any great labour or crime if the weather forecasts included both scales as they did until a few years ago (was probably only 5 or 6 years, IIRC).

Most cars have a temperature read-out now. My mum drives a Peugeot, and you can make that display in Fahrenheit... seeing as the US is the only country that still uses it on a wide scale, and seeing as Peugeot doesn't sell in the US, it can only be because they understand some people like to use F still.

Of course, if you want to confuse 99% of people, you could use the Rankine scale (like the Kelvin scale 0=absolute zero, but uses a graduation of one degree Fahrenheit)... on this, your 45 celsius would be (45+273)*1.8 = 572R

Or, to confuse 99.99% of people you could use the Reaumur scale (0 is ice, 80 is boiling water) in which case it is 0.8*45 = 36 degrees Reaumur.

I guess if you are into old engineering you could probably work "slugs" into it too. :LOL:

Well, a few weeks ago, i burst a thermometer because it was in direct sunlight!

crafty1289 said:
Well, a few weeks ago, i burst a thermometer because it was in direct sunlight!

the other day i left my clock/thermometer in direct sunlight... 40 C

I cut hedge an weeded an gathered all the commom laurel up ..TODAY

it was hot ...

not as yesterday ...

an last night I thougth we were in a WhirlWind Winter storms they killed

Sponsored Links
Back