45degree rule clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping to extend 4m off the back. Not PD as we are end terrace. I'm hoping it'll be alright having read the local guidelines but its quite tight on the 45 degree rule. It'll only be a single story so do we only measure 45 degrees from the neighbour's downstairs windows? On one side they have a conservatory do we measure from the main house or the back of the conservatory and if so where from (the middle, the nearest panel?)? On each side there is an extra coalshed/lean-to attached to the house that intercepts the 45 degree line. Does this have any impact? The lean-to has the kitchen door in it so it is part of the house

Very rough sketch. Windows in dark grey, back door in red.

Sponsored Links
If the LPA adopt such rule/guidance, then the 45 degree rule only comes into play when proposing a two-storey extension. So you could have a larger ground floor extension and the first floor set back, e.g.

PICT0985-1.jpg

My LPA do not use the 45 degree rule but just look at the overall proposal and the possible affect on neighbouring properties. However, the LPA who we use at work a lot do use the rule and nothing less will be accepted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back