Planning Permission Non-determination PART2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the recommendation of woody I shall start a new post, so carrying on, I've just reread her last email, which is;

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your email. Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Unfortunately, I do have a some concerns.

Firstly, I’m concerned about that obscured window that would be covered up if you’re extension was built. Does this window serve next door’s kitchen or living room? If so, that could be particularly problematic and might mean that an extension is not possible unfortunately. I’ve tried to look into the planning history for next door but they don’t seem to have ever submitted an application so we haven’t got any drawings in the system.

Secondly, the extension is a little bit too deep as it crosses the 45 degree rule of thumb outlined in SPD2. In order to overcome this, it would probably be best to move the extension slightly further away from the boundary. However, I understand that you wanted to preserve the existing French doors and it might prove a bit difficult using that method. Alternatively, it would be possible to reduce the depth. I’ve attached a sketch that should hopefully make this clearer. Having said this, it doesn’t cross the 45 degree line on elevation so that’s good news and you wont have to alter the height.

Please see below an excerpt from Supplementary Planning Document 2: A Guide for House Alterations and Extensions. This should make the 45 degree rule of thumb clearer.

The obscure window she mentions is part of a lean-to and about 1,100mm from the proposed extension.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Footsoldier888 I did try but being a technophobe it's beyond my capability, if you care to see them they are on Bristol CC Planning, 11Charis Avenue BS10 5JD

I'm not that clear on the issues.

Can you post a rough floor plan which includes the relevent neighbours house and extension showing the window and their property in context with yours. Or a photo of the rear of both houses?

Can't any of this (the contentious bit) be built under PD?

Sponsored Links
IMG_20180411_170056.jpg

Hi woody, when I first read her email I thought she was concerned about the height and thought if I did a flat roof with a 45'angle but it's the depth, 3,500mm, she wants a 45' angle horizontally from the centre of the nieghbours door.
I'm wondering if that side was more like a conservatory with glass?

This is the other side which has the obscure window but is only a lean-to
IMG_20180416_143342_1.jpg

I don't see what rights they have next door because you can simply lawfully put a fence there anyway. Also you could do a 3m under PD.

I haven't come across this situation before but it seems really strange.

I don't see what rights they have next door because you can simply lawfully put a fence there anyway. Also you could do a 3m under PD.

I haven't come across this situation before but it seems really strange.
Sorry are you referring to the adjoining house or the nieghbour with the obscure window?

This is the adjoining house with kitchen extension which she says would cause an alcove
IMG_20180419_125808.jpg

If the council have adopted the 45° rule, then you'll need to adhere to it. This means you need to draw a line from the center of the neighbours patio doors on plan not on the elevation view and you can't build across it. Move the flank wall in, step it in where it meets the line or splay the corner. Those are the options.

Or build that half under PD first.

The alcove is not a planning issue but crossing the 45° line is.

I can't work out where the obscure window is or the issue with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back