Planning development refusal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I’ve had permitted development refusal for a single storey extension at the rear of the property due to it being connected to a small existing PD which was built prior to my purchase, and subsequently the new extension then spans more than 50% of the original building. If I apply for planning permission I will be able build more but I will then lose the corner of the extension due to the 45 degree rule relating to my neighbours nearest window. I’m trying to look for a way around this and was wondering if anyone had something similar.

I thought about getting PD for the small extension and then planning separately for the rest, would I get away with that??

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• BE79E7D1-01F0-4F50-BACB-669CB673384E.jpeg
    BE79E7D1-01F0-4F50-BACB-669CB673384E.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 88
  • 10A81D78-52B8-41D0-B3FC-2C6FFAF1B520.png
    10A81D78-52B8-41D0-B3FC-2C6FFAF1B520.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 90
Sponsored Links
Permitted Development can't be refused. The name "permitted" is used for a reason. In fact, you don't apply for permission, for the same reason.

Aren't the PD and full planning the wrong way round on the alternative diagram?

Sponsored Links
Does the OP really mean the, 'I-Have-PD-Rights-But-I'll Pay-For-A-Certificate -Too', certificate was rejected?

...but I will then lose the corner of the extension due to the 45 degree rule relating to my neighbours nearest window.
Are you happy with the idea of you intentionally obstructing your neighbour's outlook and daylight in order to get a bigger extension? These rules are there to prevent people having a negative impact on others. Would you be happy with another neighbour impacting your enjoyment of your own home in this way?

If you were to build that small "PD" extension on your diagram then it could result in outright refusal of the rest, so you could end up with a choice of nothing additional to that or knocking it down and starting again from where you currently are.

You could just apply for planning permission for a design that respects the 45 degree rule. Could you bevel the corner to maximise the space without impacting on your neighbour?

It might be better to work within the rules rather than looking for ways to break them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back