4m run to dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Can I extend a run which feeds my dishwasher from copper to plastic, reason for doing so is I am locating washer on other side of kitchen
Thanks
Murray.

Sponsored Links
Sure, so long as you use the correct inserts for the plastic.
Presumably the drain isn't an issue?
John :)

No drain issues thankfully
What sort of fitting should I buy. And is pipe cutter or hacksaw best to cut pipe
Thanks
Murray

Sponsored Links
I usually gnaw through it :p
Seriously JGSpeedfit have everything you want plus an excellent website that explains everything.
Always use the appropriate slicing tool for the tubing, and the correct inserts. You can use brass compression fittings too if you want - after all the outside diameter on all of these products is the same. If you do, then use the insert plus a copper olive on the fitting.

Cheers John
Will check out websites
How would copper pipe with push on copper push on fittings work
Thanks
Murray

So long as they are recommended by the manufacturer, then no problems with that proposal..
With copper push fit there must be no damage to the pipe - i.e ovality or scratching. Chrome pipe isn't to be used, and obviously there's no insert with copper!
Only personally speaking here but I find the plastic couplings on the large side so I tend to use brass compression stuff for the bends if access is tight - naturally using the copper olives and inserts. I haven't had any problems.

Mmm I've read that compression joints are hard to tighten, plastic won't cause any problem size wise and I like the idea of push on, what I don't want is issues in a couple of years
My dad always took care of all my plumbing needs but he's a little bit too old now unfortunately, I've always tackled every thing but plumbing
Thanks again John

No worries mate, just go with the genuine bends etc and you'll wonder what the fuss was all about!
Maybe a tip or two......cut the (undamaged) plastic pipe with an appropriate slicing tool, push the insert fully in, ensure any collets on the fittings are fully open and push the assembly together. Tighten the collets by hand fully if its that system - if its not then pull the pipe out a bit again.
Don't use the fittings twice if you're are a beginner as the 'o' ring inside may have slipped out of position. Don't use any lubricant.
Have a good look at the JG website for more assembly tips and you won't go wrong!
Enjoy your project!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back