4mm ring

We disagree that glands need to be fitted to swa in every case, I think its misleading for future readers to think that thay can use swa without glands,
Don't keep on.

They can if the armour is not necessary. Do you earth metal capping?

Sponsored Links
can you elaborate on the need to inform the local authority that I am putting in a new cuircuit, are we saying building control??
Yes, one of the very few actual legal requirements is the need to 'notify' the Local Authority if/when installing a new circuit.

can you elaborate on the need to inform the local authority that I am putting in a new cuircuit, are we saying building control??
In England and Wales, installation of a 'new circuit' always requires notification (i.e. involvement of LABC) unless the work is undertaken by a 'self-certifying' (actually 'self-notifying') electrician (i.e. one who is a member of a 'Competent Persons Scheme').

In most cases, what constitutes a 'new circuit' is fairly obviousl, but there is sometimes debate about some potential 'grey areas'.

Kind Regards, John

We disagree that glands need to be fitted to swa in every case, I think its misleading for future readers to think that thay can use swa without gland...
That's simply not true. As SUNRAY frequently reminds us, glands are but one way of terminating SWA. Indeed, as he also points out (and illustrates) there are a number of commercial products available for use with SWA when traditional glands are not used.

Sponsored Links
That's simply not true. As SUNRAY frequently reminds us, glands are but one way of terminating SWA. Indeed, as he also points out (and illustrates) there are a number of commercial products available for use with SWA when traditional glands are not used.
I've agreed with you already, you do things your way and I'll do them mine.

No right or wrong, or am I wrong fitting glands I'm not sure now.

Fair enough - I clearly did misunderstand.. However, as below, I don't think that materially alters my view.

Yes, it seems that he could do any of those things, and (as will presumably not surprise you) my personal inclination would be to suggest the last one.

It continues to rather amaze me that there have been 6-7 pages of discussion about the need (or otherwise) to earth something which, as things are, is (and always will be) totally untouchable. Even the bit of cable in the wall does not need earthed armour so long as (as is required) it is RCD-protected. Ironically, any approach which involved 'properly glanding' the SWA with a metal gland would (without a lot of additional hassle/work) actually make it effectively 'touchable'!

Kind Regards, John
It's because although this is a DIY forum, folk want the DIYer to do it to professional standards.

I've agreed with you already, you do things your way and I'll do them mine.
As I keep saying, I'm not talking about what you or I would do - my concerns (for other readers of this thread) are that there should not be incorrect/misleading statements about what is 'right', 'wrong', 'mandated', 'compulsory' or whatever.
No right or wrong, or am I wrong fitting glands I'm not sure now.
As you say, no 'right' or 'wrong'. There is a common way in which SWA is terminated (with 'SWA glands') but, as I said, there are also other acceptable methods - and I am not away of any regulation/whatvere which expresses any view about the choice.

Kind Regards, John

It's because although this is a DIY forum, folk want the DIYer to do it to professional standards.
That's fair enough, but there does not seem to be universal agreement as to what constitutes "professional standards".

At least one "professional electrician" (albeit retired) has been expressing a view which it sounds as if you would probably regard as "not up to professional standards".

Kind Regards, John

As I keep saying, I'm not talking about what you or I would do - my concerns (for other readers of this thread) are that there should not be incorrect/misleading statements about what is 'right', 'wrong', 'mandated', 'compulsory' or whatever.

As you say, no 'right' or 'wrong'. There is a common way in which SWA is terminated (with 'SWA glands') but, as I said, there are also other acceptable methods - and I am not away of any regulation/whatvere which expresses any view about the choice.

Kind Regards, John
Ok I'll go with that

That's fair enough, but there does not seem to be universal agreement as to what constitutes "professional standards".

At least one "professional electrician" (albeit retired) has been expressing a view which it sounds as if you would probably regard as "not up to professional standards".

Kind Regards, John
Is that me? Hope not.

Anyway John we finally got to the bottom of it all, hopefully no hard feelings, keeps the brain ticking over for me anyway

Last edited:
I wish, not there yet. I assumed you assumed as I said I was old
No, I assumed nothing. The person I was referring to explicitly indicates that he is retired!

1690575820278.png

Kind Regards, John

John, Pete...sorry that my post seemd to be causing a slight irritation between your opposing views regarding my instalattion...its seems all as eneded well and truly thank you both and indeed all other contributors to this debate.
to conclude, I have completed the instalation as I first indicated I would do, I believe it to be a very tidy and well laid out bit of work, I tend to live slightly ouside the fence of our governance and societic rules and regs...perhaps for no other reason than It seems to continue to let me down at every oppurtunity (am talking about the UK bigger picture and how as a common or garden taxpayer I see fiasco after fiasco by our central and local govenors).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back