5 Amp Lighting system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just swapped over from an old rose light fitting, to spotlights in my sons bedroom. The Lighting is on a 5 amp fuse (in the electrical cupboard) and the wiring had a loop on the old rose. the new fixture had just live, neutral, and earth. i have fitted the loop into a 5 amp chock block securely, and fitted insulation tape over this block ( lots ) and then pushed it back into the ceiling. i have fitted the new light and it is working fine. The question i am asking, is should i have really fitted a 5 amp junction box into the loft space, to accomodate these loop wires, i can get to them easily enough, or is the block adequate?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I mustn't have been clear, I did use a chock box, and secured the wires in correctly, then i wrapped plenty of insulation tape around the chock. All I was wondering is, should i have used a 5 amp junction box instead, just to give it added safety and protection, or is a chock block o.k? Also, is a 5 amp choc box or 5 amp junction box adequate for a bedroom light fitting ( as i said, there is a 5 amp fuse in the electricity cupboard for the lights upstairs).

did you click the link and scroll down? a choc box is not choc block (chock box has no rating), and does not require any tape, it "clicks together"

Sponsored Links
if it is within the light fitting, ie the bit that mounts to the ceiling, does it need to be in a box??

David

i think because it seperates into segments like a traditional bar of chocolate

they call them sugar cubes in sweden (well ok whatever the swedish is for sugar cube) Useless fact for Monday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back