5 gang light switch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not worth a post, but I've just come across this intriguing little item, when browsing for light switches on Amazon (as you do!)...

1708469577834.png

Would anyone fancy wiring this into a single back box (especially if it was loop at switch!) :)

Sponsored Links
Those appear to be Five "Standard" Australian type switches in a UK Wall-Plate.
Available with "places" for up to six "mechanisms" (Mechs) - in Australia.

(See https://agmelectrical.com.au/electr...hanism/clipsal-c2000-switches-and-plates.html )

Note that there is no need for any "Earth" conductor to "Light" switches in Australia (nor anywhere to connect it), since all al "items" are plastic and the wall-plate holding screws are "deep set" (NOT touchable with a finger) and covered with flush "Caps".
These days, the screws (and caps) are covered by a "cover plate" and do not show.

Because of the above, One Core (Red or White) and Two Core (Red and White) Building Cables are available.
(No need to "colour-code) a Black (or Blue) insulated conductor, to indicate a different function. )

Six switches in one wall plate could be wired with one "pair" and five single conductors.

Here are three switches in a six-gang wall plate - placed this way (with Blank Mechs) to indicate (somewhat) the location of the Lights controlled.
Six-Way - Blanks.jpg

Cover Removed.
Six-Wa Cover off.jpg

Wiring side.
Top Right switch is wired as a 2-Way.
Bottom Right switch is an Intermediate.
Six-Way Rear.jpg

Asside from the issue of wiring room, the two things that concern me are.

1. There doesn't seem to be any real indication of who made it and what standards it is made to. Sourcingmap seem to be a chinese distributor and uxcell doesn't seem to bring up any relavent results in google at all.
2. By installing a weird non-standard switch you are setting up a problem for the next guy if/when the switch fails.

Sponsored Links
Asside from the issue of wiring room, the two things that concern me are.

1. There doesn't seem to be any real indication of who made it and what standards it is made to. Sourcingmap seem to be a chinese distributor and uxcell doesn't seem to bring up any relavent results in google at all.
2. By installing a weird non-standard switch you are setting up a problem for the next guy if/when the switch fails.
Sadly, there are several Chinese Rip-Offs of Australian (Clipsal-Schneider) products.
Clipsal-Schneider switches of this type were once sold in the UK but (it seems) no longer.

Clipsal-Schneider do not sell any of their products in Australian "Big Box" stores.
Their place is taken by DETA (copy) products.

HPM - now owned by Legrand - do sell similar "quality" products in such Australian stores.

Clipsal stuff like the switch in the first picture was sold by B&Q in the 80s and possibly into the 90s.

There was a wife variety of colour options.

Clipsal-Schneider switches of this type were once sold in the UK
As a kid in the UK, I remember seeing switches of this style (both as standalone switches and as part of switch-sockets) a lot in static caravans on holiday parks. I rarely if-ever sawy them in permanent buildings. Don't think I ever saw 5 on a plate though.

Nowadays Schneider do make electrical accessories for the UK market, but the switches are more normal UK style ones.

Probably not worth a post, but I've just come across this intriguing little item, when browsing for light switches on Amazon (as you do!)...

View attachment 333730

Would anyone fancy wiring this into a single back box (especially if it was loop at switch!) :)

I have handled some of these, the modules are deeper than regular switches so definitely need deep boxes and the modules are too wide to fit in plasterboard boxes

Six switches in one wall plate could be wired with one "pair" and five single conductors.
That seems to imply that, for at least some (most?) of the switched loads (I presume lights), the 'live' and neutral conductors do not necessarily 'travel together'. If that's the case, it's not too good an idea in terms of 'EMC'.

Kind Regards, John

I`d probably us a 6 gang switch and not use one gang - labelling etc not to use

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back