50 / 60Hz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few quick question for sparks about frequencies on 3 phase equipment. Should you run a 3 phase 60Hz 15A compressor in this country on 50Hz? The reason i ask is that i was stood underneath one earlier when it started up and nearly died because it makes an almighty bang when it starts up. Would it make less of a bang on 60Hz? Would it run quieter? Are there any long-term side effects to running it on 50Hz?

I would have thought the refrigeration company would have sourced a compressor with the correct rating to start with!

Sponsored Links
a synchronous motor will most likely run hotter and slower on 50hz than 60hz but provided the cooling is adequate it will most likely be ok.

plugwash said:
a synchronous motor will most likely run hotter and slower on 50hz than 60hz but provided the cooling is adequate it will most likely be ok.

It will be an asychronous motor. The voltage hasn't been mentioned, this is obviously important, what is it?. The supplier or another motor manufacturer is the best advisor, I would ask on this forum as a last resort. Assuming that the voltage is similar, the impedance on start up at 50Hz is lower, the starting current and torque is then higher, if the driven unit is not designed to accommodate this startup condition, this may cause mechanical problems; apart from any other running effects on cooling etc.
jaymack

The rating is 230V 3 phase AC 60Hz 15Amp. It is controlled by the chillers downstairs but power comes direct from a bunch of old-looking boxes on the wall, then from a more modern looking 3 phase DB downstairs. I dont think all of these old boxes are still used, because in the past there were more compressors here, now there's just the one.

I dont know about how the chiller unit runs, but the compressor seems to be on most of the time, say, on for 2 hours, then off for 10-20 mins, this seems a lot. Whenever the compressor is off, though, the chiller temp display shows DEF, for defrost, then when it just comes back on, it shows Pd for 10 mins or so, which i cant understand, then it reverts back to the temperature, between 2 and 5 usually.

Any refrigeration engineers on here? I'm just curious! ;)

Sponsored Links
What you are saying here, is not clear enough for anyone to hazard a guess at the problem. On the face of it, it appears that the either the unit is undersized or has lost refrigerant. Is there a refrigerator forum you can contact?
Jaymack

There is no problem, just as i said before, im curious, and i mistook the rating. it says 460V 60Hz then in another bit it says 400V 50Hz. Any ideas? It is a reciprocating compressor.

If there is any problem with the unit it is that it makes way too much noise and seems very rough on startup, thought maybe this had something to do with the 60Hz nonsense and some electricians could advise?

crafty1289 said:
it makes way too much noise and seems very rough on startup

crafty1289 said:
i ask is that i was stood underneath one earlier when it started up and nearly died because it makes an almighty bang when it starts up.

If I were you I'd stop standing underneath it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back