50 Rusted Bolts - How to remove?

I used to wonder where you got the giant screwdriver to undo these and then I remembered my old impact driver from my motorbiking years:
Screenshot_20201220-070050.png

Sponsored Links
Grinder, straight in to the wood to cut through the bolt stem under the nut. Quickest way, least metal to cut.

Cheap enough at toolstation and they olso do the self locking stainless steel nylon nuts.
I find local independant shop are cheaper I pay about half what they charge at tool station, even cheaper when you pay cash and don't want a receipt for smaller quantities that's if you have one of course. The one I use is directly opposite toolstation on the other side of the road
Grinder, straight in to the wood to cut through the bolt stem under the nut. Quickest way, least metal to cut.
A vertical cut across the nut is quicker, less messy and less fumes from burning wood, but you need a cutting disc rather than a grinding disc.

Last edited:
vertical cut across the nut is quicker

Debatable and more dangerous. If the disc grabs or fragments (more likely with a thin cutter) its either going to drag forward or backward or spit upwards. Using the disc flat is safer because easier to control if it grabs, and the spits are sideways. Done outside who cares about mess and fumes.

Sponsored Links
I used to wonder where you got the giant screwdriver to undo these and then I remembered my old impact driver from my motorbiking years:
View attachment 215235

My stepfather gave me an impact driver/screw remover a few weeks ago. I had been whinging about removing some door hinge pozi drive screws that had been painted. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back