50 Rusted Bolts - How to remove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got about 50 of these bolts to remove, and a few other screws and things. They're well rusted and firmly stuck. What's a good way of removing them. I've a got an old small grinder - would that be a good idea?

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Sponsored Links
I call them roofing bolts, although, I'm sure there are other names for them.
What are they securing, it looks like wood to metal?

I call them roofing bolts, although, I'm sure there are other names for them.
What are they securing, it looks like wood to metal?
Yes it's ply to a metal frame - a trailer. The ply is rotton and needs replacing.

Sponsored Links
I think the nuts are 11mm or 7/16, I can't remember. They are usually galv so there shouldn't be a lot of rust. If you can get a grip of the head with gland pliers or vice grips, you should be able to get them going.
If all else fails, a good, sharp cold chisel between the head and the steel frame, a couple of decent blows with a hammer should take the head of easily enough.

As the plywood is to be disposed off....

Use a hole saw
upload_2020-12-19_14-16-12.jpeg

to cut a disc of plywood from around each bolt. Keep the pilot drill as close to the bolt but don't hit it.

With care a disc can be cut without the pilot drill but the saw may jump around before the hole is started.

Then remove the plywood panels.

Break the discs away from the bolts and cut through the bolts with metal saw or ( with care ) an angle grinder,

Grind the heads off mate.....either 6 or 8mm threads.
It doesn't look like the angle is galvanised so nothing to lose but time.
John :)

I think if I was going to go down the grinder route, I'd be going for the nuts and splitting them down the side.
But I'm fairly certain that I could salvage the lot of them and save myself a trip to Screwfix. :)

As above, the quickest way is to grind / cut the nut in half and knock the bolts out.

If the ply is shot, angle grinder, but use a cutting disc vertically and make one cut across the centre, then just pin punch the bolt through, the thin discs are the best for this.
It'll take longer with a grinding disc.

Go stainless steel when you replace.
Cheap enough at toolstation and they olso do the self locking stainless steel nylon nuts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back