500w halogen replacement equivalent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a standard 500w Halogen floodlight which is just over 10 years old, its getting a bit dated now as parts of it is flaking off so it doesn't look as good as it once did. It still works fine and has been very reliable (never false triggers) and lights the garden very well. As times have moved on i would like to replace it with something more efficient. I am looking for an led equivalent, something with equal or greater brightness and reliability. So from personal experience what would recommend. I thought i would ask here as i don't want to waste time and money on something crap.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
you can get osram replacement led tubes for them.

118mm long I expect you need.

They only seam to go upto 75W !

I purchased one off ebay yesterday for a bargin price of £3, but they are usually loads more.
But they are plug a play.

I have had osram led tubes before

Sponsored Links
I bought a LED replacement and it had three rows of LED's slightly angled difference from each other the result was a different spread of light, I found the lamp needed pointing down further to original. It may be better or worse than original but it is different, so it's hard to say what equals 500W well can't get 500W any more so 300W.

Perfect thanks(y)
If you're looking for reliability, do not go for LAP. You'll be lucky if it lasts a year and also by then it'll be looking tatty. Also its "daylight" colour temperature is very different to halogen, producing a cold harsh light. Look for warm white if you want a similar colour of light.

I'd recommend this: http://www.cp-lighting.co.uk/Ledvan...lack-IP65-With-Sensor?sc=8&category=131991115

Although 50w of LED will be very bright, so unless your garden is massive, something like a 30w LED flood may very well be plenty bright enough.

Last edited:
Be aware that a lot (almost all ?) of LED floods are far to wide angle for anything useful. In particular, by the time you have pointed them down far enough so as not to act like landing lights for passing aircraft, most of the light is shining on the wall beneath them. Think about it, from horizontally out to down the wall is 90˚, most LED floods seem to be 120˚ beam angle these days. When I find something I like, I need to replace the two I've just put up on the back of our house - it'll probably need four spots (to get the horizontal spread) :rolleyes:
And yes, "security" lights that shine in our garden, in our windows, in my face when driving, etc, are one of my pet peeves :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back