Replacing MR16 Halogens with equivalent LED's

[/quote]
Why don't you just phone RichThompson so you can whinge at each other?[/quote]
Why don't you come round to Matlock where I work one lunchtime, I'll buy you a Costa coffee and a bun, sit you down and tell you to your face that no-one in the world cares what you think about downlighters.

Sponsored Links
If I can cut through all of the banter on here that is not related to my original post you might be interested to hear that I tested one of the down-lighters last night in a rig with a 25w halogen and left it on for about 2 hours. The body of the unit got marginally hot but the heat convection from the vents at the top was minimal. Therefore I think I'm gonna still use these lights within the smaller ceiling void as it will have good ventilation around it and should not get overly hot. The units also have intumiscent material around the vent holes at the top so are also fire rated.
Thanks for your help people

Raveboy

PS My view is that if installed correctly and tastefully, down-lighters look rather classy !!!!

My apologies Raveboy.

At least you have proved that the MR16 is suitable for your purpose. I take exception to people who see an opportunity to get on a soapbox and spout the same old nonsense which is nothing to do with the point raised by the op, not once but thousands of times.

I take exception to people who see an opportunity to get on a soapbox and spout the same old nonsense which is nothing to do with the point raised by the op, not once but thousands of times.
You really do have a problem with counting, don't you.

Very much look forward to your comments.
Then the solution is simple - don't cut holes, and install lighting which actually works.
That's once, not thousands of times, and IMO you are being incredibly hysterical if you consider it as getting on a soapbox.

And as for it being relevant, the OP posted that he had problems/concerns about installing recessed downlighters, he hasn't yet cut holes in the ceiling, so suggesting that he doesn't cut the holes and instead installs a different kind of lighting is perfectly reasonable.

I made the suggestion once, and that was the end of it, but since then you and Tonka have been responsible for starting an argument which really is nothing to do with the point raised by the OP, and which represents half of the replies so far, and all because you think that you have the right to tell me what advice I may or may not give, and that I am to be criticised for ignoring you when you try to tell me that.

This is raveboy's thread. I made one reasonable suggestion in response to his request for some.

If you don't like it, leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
Actually BAS, you get on your anti-downlighter soapbox with tedious regularity. It may only have been one post in this thread but there have been many others. Constantly rehashing this view contributes nothing to threads whereas the *constructive* help that others, including myself, post does and that is exactly what this forum should be about.

In short, people *like* downlighters so get over it and get a life :p

You'll have to have the last word, of course... :rolleyes:

Why don't you like down-lighters BAS (Or sheds for that matter). If installed at the correct spacing they give excellent illumination (IMO) and make for an uncluttered ceiling. Also reduces the cobwebs normally found on ceiling pendants :LOL:

Actually BAS, you get on your anti-downlighter soapbox with tedious regularity.
More hysteria.

It may only have been one post in this thread but there have been many others.
All made before the OP joined.

Constantly rehashing this view contributes nothing to threads whereas the *constructive* help that others, including myself, post does and that is exactly what this forum should be about.
So I take it that we will never see you writing anything in response to a question which has appeared in any of the 282325 (and counting) posts previously made here?

And that we can expect you to criticise anyone who gives the same advice to more than one person?

Or is it that you think you have the right to tell me what advice I should or should not give, and that I deserve to be criticised by you if I ignore you when you tell me that?

In short, other people don't, so get over it and get a life.

This is raveboy's thread. I made one reasonable suggestion in response to his request for some.

If by that you mean "If I continue to attack you you will continue to defend yourself, and if I continue to act as if I have the right to tell you what to say you will continue to point out that I do not", then yes.

Actually BAS, you get on your anti-downlighter soapbox with tedious regularity.
More hysteria.

It may only have been one post in this thread but there have been many others.
All made before the OP joined.

Constantly rehashing this view contributes nothing to threads whereas the *constructive* help that others, including myself, post does and that is exactly what this forum should be about.
So I take it that we will never see you writing anything in response to a question which has appeared in any of the 282325 (and counting) posts previously made here?

And that we can expect you to criticise anyone who gives the same advice to more than one person?

Or is it that you think you have the right to tell me what advice I should or should not give, and that I deserve to be criticised by you if I ignore you when you tell me that?

In short, other people don't, so get over it and get a life.

If by that you mean "If I continue to attack you you will continue to defend yourself, and if I continue to act as if I have the right to tell you what to say you will continue to point out that I do not", then yes.

Ha ha ha, idiot :!:

Nice to see that you are capable of such mature, intelligent and rational debate.

Why don't you like down-lighters BAS (Or sheds for that matter). If installed at the correct spacing they give excellent illumination (IMO).
I find that they don't do that, because they are not designed to produce light in a pattern which is any good for general room illumination. They are spotlights, and they produce narrow beams of light.

If you were starting from scratch to design something to illuminate a room, as opposed to highlighting an ornament on display, for example, I doubt that you would come up with 2" diameter recessed lights that put out directional beams of light, causing light and dark pools, sharp shadows etc.

Think on this - the average bathroom, if lit by a traditional GLS pendant, is fine with a single 60W or 100W bulb. How would the same room be with 1 or 2 35/50W GU10s?

No way would it be as well lit, which shows what a useless job that type of lighting does. This is not, BTW, to suggest that you have to stick to old-fashioned pendant lights, but to show that to light a room you should use lights designed for that purpose, not designed for something different, and which don't work when misused.

Also, when fitting them in bathrooms or kitchens with loft spaces or flat roofs above it is difficult if not impossible to do it without contravening the Building Regulations.

and make for an uncluttered ceiling
Yup, if you think lots of holes are uncluttered. People have seized on this type of lighting because they think it is the only alternative to old fashioned lampshades, but it isn't, and it works appallingly badly.

Also reduces the cobwebs normally found on ceiling pendants :LOL:
28-inch-feather-duster.jpg

Oh - and sheds?

I mean this:

banfv7.jpg

not this:

nobanhd9.jpg

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back