50cc Scooter - Loss of power)

Air cleaner removed and made no difference to be honest,

I now have other issue(s). The electric starter is going in the right direction etc but isn't engaging. Also, I have managed to knacker up the kick start! So the part should be here tomorrow and then I can get the thing started again and investigate the issue.

Whilst the bike is out of action I'll be having a go at getting the clutch off so that I can check it for wear and tear and clean it if needed.

:(

Sponsored Links
2 stroke of 4 stroke? if 4 stroke check the tapet clearences, quite common for these to go out affecting performance, a small engine has less tolerance.

2 stroke of 4 stroke? if 4 stroke check the tapet clearences, quite common for these to go out affecting performance, a small engine has less tolerance.

It's a 4 stroke. I think that if I can't get the performance back to how it was a week or so ago (prior to the drive belt shredding) then I'll be taking it to the local scooter garage to have it serviced. Money I can't really afford to spend at the moment though!

Starter motor drive is in the belt casing, small piece of belt would easily clog the mechanism.The dust created by a snapped belt is enough to act as a lubricant so clean out has to be very thorough as this reduces friction .Check you purchased the correct belt a couple of mm difference on the belt length has dramatic effect on performance. Did you dismantle the front variator and clean?, dust will hinder roller movement.

Sponsored Links
Starter motor drive is in the belt casing, small piece of belt would easily clog the mechanism.The dust created by a snapped belt is enough to act as a lubricant so clean out has to be very thorough as this reduces friction .Check you purchased the correct belt a couple of mm difference on the belt length has dramatic effect on performance. Did you dismantle the front variator and clean?, dust will hinder roller movement.

Thanks for this.

Things are looking better!

I completely dismantled the front variator and cleaned it thoroughly including the rollers etc. I spent a good 1.5 hours on this as it was absolutely filthy.

I couldn't get the rear flywheel of as I don't have the tools but what I did do was slightly angle the bike and sping the rear wheel. As this was happening I got my daughter to tap the flywheel with a rubber mallet and this dislodged loads of crap.

Also after doing this I also had to install a new kick start shaft as that broke too!

Anyway the bike was put back together this morning. I used it for work which is 10 miles and there is definitely a difference in it. It breezed up the hill coming out of our village where as last week I was going so slow I nearly had to put my feet to the ground to avoid toppling over!

Anyway, I think I'm on the great road to recovery now but I'd like to thank those of you who have helped me to get this sorted out.

Cheers!

You need a locking tool for the rear, though I made mine from a couple of round headed bolts thru a piece of angle iron, these bolt heads slip into the locking holes on the rear belt cover allowing the nut to be loosened.[you often get a free locking tool with replacement drive pads].Remember to change belts every 6000miles. Did mine so often could strip it and replace in 20 mins. [35 years on bikes, mainly scooters, OOOOh my bums sore .]

I want to invest in a cheapo impact wrench to make things a bit easier when working on my bike.

I have seen a few 12v (Car ciggy lighter job) and would like your opinions on whether this would have done the job of getting the flywheel and front variator nuts off?

If so I think £25 is worth the investment.

What do you think?

For occasional use these tools are actually pretty good....when you use them, they seem to internally spin up to speed, and then a dog mechanism engages, giving the nut initial impact to turn.
I think it would be fine on flywheel nuts, can't comment on the variator nut, and they wont look at car wheel nuts that are too tight - mine came with 4 impact sockets, too.
I've since got compressed air gear, so I've given the battery thing away but it was a remarkable concept for a few quid.
John :)

Bought a cheapo impact wrench off eBay and I must say, I'm really impressed with it.

It removed the flywheel nut with ease aswell as the front and rear wheel nuts. £24 inc delivery = excellent value for money to me!

hi i have a cpi aragon gp 50, and problems started going wrong with it like the carb and piston and cylinder so i baught a 17.5mm carb and 60cc cyclinder kit, i have a stock exhaust, i have looked at the belt and its fine, checked the reeds and there all fine! i replaced all that and when it is still on the stand it revs and speeds up fine but it still sounds like it's flooding as you pull the throttle and it sounds like a tractor for some reason and its a 2 stroke and when i go to ride it it dont go anywhere it just sounds like its flooding but then gradually builds up speed then something causes it to slow down very quickly then cuts out :cry:

It sounds like a typical fuel starvation problem really - the carburettor must be thoroughly cleaned out using compressed air and an aerosol carb cleaner. Keep the needle in the middle notch.
Once thats guaranteed perfectly ok, we look elsewhere.

yeah but it is a brand new carb! what size jet do you think it needs? would that effect it?

Jet selection is really quite complex, but here goes.....
With the engine pulling hard, and the engine is approaching maximum revs, if closing the throttle slightly seems to make a slight improvement then the main jet size is too small (weak mixture).
If, when the bike has reached its cruising speed the two stroke engine starts to 'four stroke' - that is only fires every two revolutions then the main jet is too big (rich mixture).
Excess weak mixture will hole the piston, eventually.
I presume the carb kit actually came jetted for this bike.....either way unless the carb is way over size it shouldn't cause this problem.
Its still worth checking the fuel supply to the carb, in case there's a filter blocked somewhere.
Fit a new plug too, and only use genuine two stroke oil.

ok i will change the size of the jet ans buy a new spark plug :) ive got a 72 jet in there so that might be abit rich and how do i know if there is a filter blocked or not?

Sponsored Links
Back