56 plate 1.6 Ford Focus

Sponsored Links
Very common on the Focus of this age, which unfortunately can result in the spark plugs rusting in :eek:
Its due to water from the screen washers running back into the plug recesses, and Ford have a mod for it. ;)
Before going any further, see if the coolant level drops. Hopefully it wont, and there can be quite a bit of residual water in there.
Be lucky!
John :)
I'm having a similar issue on my Ford Focus 1.6, found some fluid the Spark Plug boots which was causing alot of noise when driving, this has been resolved but now noticed the Coolant level decreases quite quickly.
What does this indicate? And roughly how much would a repair cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

Your coolant loss has nothing to do with the events here, I'm afraid......however, check for dried coolant traces in the water pump and lower radiator area as these are common leaking points. Coolant has an unmistakable smell when its hot and leaking - a sure indicator of problems somewhere.

Thanks for responding Burnerman.

Had a look in the spark plug boots today and all 4 had dried orange stuff (similar in colour to my Coolant).
So it's somehow getting in there. Thankfully its dry right now and has been for a couple of days.
Looking around on the net apparently it could be the Core Plugs. Hopefully that's not an expensive fix.

Sponsored Links
As per previous pointers in the post, you may just be seeing dried rust dust within the plug wells. However, core plugs can and do leak and that's largely due to the antifreeze (or rather the corrosion inhibiting chemicals within) not having been replaced at regular intervals. Core plugs aren't difficult to sort, it just depends on how accessible they are......from what I recall there aren't any in that area of the engine block.

Back