5E data cable run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I should be posting in Computing forum or here.
I have to run a Cat5e data cable from my router to Dinning room extension. Part of the run would be through a pantry cupboard from floor through ceiling ( about 2.4m height ) alongside a 2.5mm T&E Radial that only feeds the upstairs Immersion heater from consumer unit.
Would this be ok ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure if I should be posting in Computing forum or here.
I have to run a Cat5e data cable from my router to Dinning room extension. Part of the run would be through a pantry cupboard from floor through ceiling ( about 2.4m height ) alongside a 2.5mm T&E Radial that only feeds the upstairs Immersion heater from consumer unit.
Would this be ok ?
I'd do it and expect it to be OK.
Others will possibly start quoting interference problems. but a lot will depend on if the immersion is running

Leave plenty of gap between them if it's easy.

Thanks for reply. Problem is that they will have to be right beside each other just for the vertical run in the cupboard. The 2.5mm T&E is in plastic conduit for the run up the cupboard but dunno if this makes any difference

While I have no idea as to the answer to this question vis-à-vis UK regulations, in Australia the adjacent (separated) "run" would be allowed but any such "run" within the same "penetration" of a "stud"/"noggin"/"joist" etc. would not be permitted, unless the external insulation on the "Extra Low Voltage" cable was rated at the "Low" (230 V) Voltage required.
"Low Voltage" and "Extra Low Voltage" insulated cables must be separated, as required in the jurisdictions concerned.

Any "induction" problems which became apparent would be yours and yours to fix.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. Problem is that they will have to be right beside each other just for the vertical run in the cupboard. The 2.5mm T&E is in plastic conduit for the run up the cupboard but dunno if this makes any difference
I wouldn't put the cat 5 in the same trunking (unless you purchase cat5 rated for 300V) but right beside should be fine.

To demonstrat the point this cable: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...U83GGoxlSLWUmOIdO83G3H6lNVkCTe3AaAmWkEALw_wcB
is available.

Which is "interesting", in comparison with Post #4
I've used this type of cable a few times, more of the flexible types than that linked.

To date I've not been aware of a single problem.

I don't think he intends to place it in the same trunking just near it. I ran screened Cat5 to my Garden room.

All, Thanks for the Input. I don't intend to put it in the same conduit as T&E. And to answer the comment about small cupboard, its actually quite a large space, but the only place I can get a cable through from under the floor and fish it out on the next floor up is where the T&E is routed. I'll crack on and do it anyway once the kit comes home from Ebay. Its actually to put a RJ45 socket to the smart TV to try and get better signal without messing around with Wifi boosters ect and leave wifi clear for other uses. We seldom use the immersion, but once fitted up I'll try with the Immersion switched on and if its crap, isolate the immersion at CU to see if that makes a difference. If it does then I'll have to think of another route

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back