5mx4mx3m timber Lean to/extension advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I have tried to find out as much as I can via searching Google but still have some questions I can not find answers to.

We would like to build a lean to/extension to be used as the living room but will not get permission to make it from bricks/blocks so has to be timber and the like which we have permission for and as cheap as possible.

It will also need to be insulated so what is the best way to do it and material to use?

Where do we stand with doing say 4-5 courses of brick or 2 courses of DCB to then raise the timber off, will doing that stop it being classed as a temp structure? We are not allowed to use a concrete base but are thinking of just doing strips or individual's for each supporting post.

Being a timber structure can we make it 5m long and not the 3m in the regs?

What are the best materials to use?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why has it got to be in timber and not brick/block?

If it's a planning issue you are concerned about, it makes no difference whether it's timber or brick, or whether you class it as temporary or permanent;
it would still need p.p. if over 3m out (assuming you are a semi or terrace).

We live in a housing association semi and have been told by there building control whatever they are person that we can go 6m out into the garden but will be looking to do 4m and that it can only be done using timber........

5m long 4m out 3m high

We live in a housing association semi and have been told by there building control whatever they are person that we can go 6m out into the garden

Unfortunately that is complete nonsense; check with your local planning department and they will tell you that 3m is the maximum you can go out in a semi.

Sponsored Links
Is the OP on drugs? Or maybe Mr BCO was, or was it a planner, or maybe Mr Housing Association? Or maybe I am? This thread needs some clarity. :idea:

Is the OP on drugs? Or maybe Mr BCO was, or was it a planner, or maybe Mr Housing Association? Or maybe I am? This thread needs some clarity. :idea:

Think you must be on drugs mate, It was a straight forward question..... We were told we can go out 6M, we wanted to do 4 but if 3 is the limit then it will have to be 3 so no big deal.

So the build will be 5m x 3m x 3m ( 7ft to the eves )

Back to my original question, what will be the best way to build this out of timber and it be fully insulated?

Hope that is not to complicated for you.......

Would it be cheaper to buy a log cabin and insulate that rather than build it from scratch?

Would a combination of thermawrap eco wool insulation and acoustic mineral wool be a good idea?

You can build a "conservatory" to any standard you want as long as it is safe. It no longer needs to have a translucent roof. It will be building control exempt if you keep it separated by external doors, have a separate heating zone etc.
The foundations of a conservatory can be shallower and cheaper than an "extension". Masonry to DPC, wallplate, single skin stud walls, insulation board between and inside the studs, vapour barrier on the inside, small air gap followed by cladding on the outside (PVC is cheap). Flat roof with roofing felt, etc.
If you don't want to move drains you can fit double seal lids.

Some people have been known to remove the external doors to the conservatory after the build. This is often shown on TV Makeover programmes :)

However it may be better to spend a bit more and build a proper extension - you may reget doing a lash-up !

Im not clear what it is you are trying to build but say a building constructed using 100mm deep studs could be filled with 100mm celotex between the studs with a further 40mm across internally prior to plasterboarding.

This would need to have a vapour control layer internally (warm side) or robustly foil tape all celotex joints and fill all gaps with foam.

External detail would be weatherboard finish on battens, breathable membrane, counter-battens, sheathing ply etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back