"6.0mm2 flexible twin and earth" for new cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to install a new cooker.

I was expecting the manual to either be vague or specify hard-to-get 6mm2 rubber flex.

Instead it says "6.0mm2 flexible twin and earth".

Is there such a thing as flexible twin and earth?

I've installed a fair few cookers, more than 10 years back, and we just used normal solid twin and earth.

Sponsored Links
Just about to install a new cooker. I was expecting the manual to either be vague or specify hard-to-get 6mm2 rubber flex. Instead it says "6.0mm2 flexible twin and earth". Is there such a thing as flexible twin and earth?
Not really - it's one or t'other (albeit T+E isn't totally rigid!) :)

There may be an issue in your wanting to comply with the manufacturer's instructions but, in electrical terms, I would doubt that many cookers would actually need 6mm² flex. What power is it?

Kind Regards, John

12445W so big.

The breaker/cable sizing rules are still 10A + 30% of remainder, right?

12445W so big. The breaker/cable sizing rules are still 10A + 30% of remainder, right?
Indeed - that's the usual diversity calculation. Assuming the 12,445W relates to 240V (nearly always the case), that's about 51.85A which, after application of the diversity calculation,amounts to some 22.55A. Electrically speaking, even 2.5mm² flex, and certainly 4mm² flex, would be adequate for that.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've installed a fair few cookers, more than 10 years back, and we just used normal solid twin and earth.
Continue to do so.

Generally the best thing to do when installing modern cookers is to take the installation instructions and throw them away. Invariably useless or just wrong.

Great, that's what I'll do then.

Just looked at another few manuals and they actually go so far to specify brands of flex. Totally stupid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back