Cooker Cable Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just got a new cooker, which the landlord will install, if I get everything needed. The cooker didn't come with any cables unfortunately.

Is twin and earth ok to use? It will just be 1m long, from the back of the cooker, to the box on the wall (box made for a cooker with terminals in).

Its 9kw, so is 6mm2 fine? (worked this out from 17th edition book). It will obviously get warm behind the cooker though, so wasn't sure if it is ok using T+E?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Just got a new cooker, which the landlord will install, if I get everything needed.
Is he a qualified electrician?

The cooker didn't come with any cables unfortunately.
They can't.

Is twin and earth ok to use?
Not really, as the cooker isn't a fixed appliance. True, you won't be moving it about a great deal, but you should still use flex.

Its 9kw, so is 6mm2 fine?
The rating of the appliance governs what you need, but what you must have is limited by the rating of the circuit protective device.

Which is.....???

It will obviously get warm behind the cooker though, so wasn't sure if it is ok using T+E?
It'll get a bit warm, but not enough to damage a cable.

You'll need a 40 amp breaker then size of cable depends on ref method if clipped direct 6mm2 will do, but your landlord will need to issue EIC and inspect/test schedules. To prove it complies.
KB

EIC to connect 1m of cable between a cooker connection point and the appliance? are you sure you actually read the post.

Sponsored Links
are we assuming the mcb/fuse is the right size for CABLE? may be not so new breaker in cu eic needed.
SPS

your right! i don't know!
either way!
Trying to steer someone in the right direction
The guy not sure about T+E, So lets be safe!

In which case they should be calling an electrician in to check not letting the landlord touch it, afterall most landlords are the biggest bodgers out there.

Well the landlord should be calling one.
So not sure why RyanM asked the question in the first place and seems to be very quiet?
SPS

Hello.

Maybe RyanM is trapped behind his cooker after using a 1m lead ! :LOL:

Ed.

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply!

My landlord will be getting an electrician in to do it. But he wants me to have everything ready, as the electrician is 'so busy' he said.

So I need to check the MCB, and if ok I can use 6mm2 Flex, but not T+E?

Thanks.

Your landlord is pushing responsibility onto you which is very wrong.

In effect, s/he is saying that you have to prepare all the materials needed for this job because his (I can only hope) fully-qualified electrician is "busy"?

What rot!

Tell your landlord to tell his spark to do the calculations himself. I'm sure he can pop round for a few minutes before the job date to check.

In any case, he might want to reccy the installation to see if PEB's or RCD's are needed.

Looking for a fault in a kitchen while doing a few days work with a electrician. New oven had been installed and gas hob replaced with electric, cable to the CCU was 6mm...open switch plate to find that it had been connected into the kitchen ring main. Kept overloading the ring, gotta love kitchen fitters.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back