6 core flex for programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to relocate the programmer from inside the airing cupboard to just outside, unfortunately the cable/s are just too short so I thought I'd just replace them. Turns out they are 2 T&E cables with both earths used as switch lines, hence the programmer is not earthed! I've tried a few normally places including Screwfix, TLC, Edmundson's, but no one does 6 core 0.75mm flex. I can get 6 or 8 core alarm cable or automotive trailer flex online but there not suitable for the voltage / current. I did find a corgi part number for 6 core flex when I googled but its a 100m drum for £136! and it's out of stock. I only need about 2m, any suggestions apart from use two 4 core flexes, which might be an issue with space in the programmer to terminate all the cores!

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression the earth was to protect the cable/flex if you cut through it not the device its connected to as these tend to be plastic nowadays, although the back box is metal so will need earthing

Just noticed this 7 core flex is all black with numbered cores !!! horrible

Sponsored Links
It's a Danfoss, there's a Live, Neutral, and Earth, then terminals 1,2,3, & 4.

Programmer probably doesn't need an earth though. Most are double insulated these days.
BS7671:2008 said:
411.3.1 Protective earthing
Exposed-conductive-parts shall be connected to a protective conductor under the specific conditions for each type of system earthing as specified in Regulations 411.4 to 411.6.
Simultaneously accessible exposed-conductive-parts shall be connected to the same earthing system individually, in groups or collectively.
Conductors for protective earthing shall comply with Chapter 54.
A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed-conductive-parts and suspended from such a point.
Even if the programmer is class II it is fixed not portable equipment so needs an earth running to it even if not used. This has caused problems where extra low voltage down lights are made into low voltage, the Nest Gen 3 has an earth only required to be connected if the thermostat is hard wired to heat link, but seems daft if the earth has to be in the cable not to connect it.

I've never come across 6 core other than on a zone valve, and I've never found zone valve flex available to buy anywhere. Normally 5 core or 7 core. Finding 7 core coloured is tricky though - as you've discovered, it's usually black

there is a link between 3 and 4 hence i only ned 6 core not 7. I'd really prefer not to use all black cores, with the little numbers printed on them . potential for mistakes as it's inevitable in the back of a cupboard in a hard to see spot. Coloured is best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back