6 meter single story rear extension roof help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am considering to building a 6 meter deep single storey rear extension but would like to have a tiled mono pitched roof.

From what i understand a structural RSJ will need to be used to ensure the span does not exceed that of the allowed tolerances as set out by building regulation

From my research online there is limited information on the possibility of a mono pitched roof (lean to type) for a tiled roof. All i can find if flat roof options with a RSJ

Is it possible to have a structural beam used in a pitched roof setup if so how would this be achieved?

Thanks for your help and input

Sponsored Links
A 6m long roof at say 17.5 degree pitch will give you a rise in the region of 1900mm. A 15 degree pitch will give you 1600mm or so.
Can you achieve this below upstairs window sills?

A truss company could probably make something. Were you looking at vaulted? Roof lights? How wide is the extension and are there to be any internal structural walls?

A 6m long roof at say 17.5 degree pitch will give you a rise in the region of 1900mm. A 15 degree pitch will give you 1600mm or so.

A truss company could probably make something. Were you looking at vaulted? Roof lights? How wide is the extension and are there to be any internal structural walls?

Hi

There will two roof lights approximately 1 metre wide by 1.2mtere.

The external envelope of the extension is 6m x 6m

Sorry no load bearing walls

Sponsored Links

Can I use an rsj behind the ceiling joist and midway load the roof onto that?

You will require a minimum pitch of 15 degrees for the Velux. Vaulted or non-vaulted roof? If vaulted then you are going to require some humongous depth rafters or a mid-span or 1/3rd span beam depending how you are going to work the Velux whilst trying to avoid clashing with the steel beam. A 5600mm long beam is going to be a handful!

Can I use an rsj behind the ceiling joist and midway load the roof onto that?
Possibly. But the beam would need to be pretty big. If you are looking at a non-vaulted roof, seek the guidance of a local roof truss company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back