6 metre Lintle / RSJ advice please?

you are definately taking the p**s a 406 beam..... twice...

go back to school

jesus...

that would hold the whole street up...
Geraint, do a simple stress and LTB check on a 6m steel taking about 19kN/m then start ranting like a little girl..

Sponsored Links
Looking at the defelction on a 6m beam of various sizes, all I could say was what that builder on Cowboy Builders says to Mellinda "It just can't be done! It just can't be done!!!"

Of course in the program Mellinda replies something like "Well it must be done!!"

I think that 6m beam will need to be propped halfway with a UC disguised as a water feature perhaps or even a totum Pole? (Taking um heap big load)

Why don't we all say what we're really thinking?

Not worth it for a bog standard (no offence meant!) house such as this, would be money down the pan and I doubt would add as much money to the value as it costs to do the work.

Scale down the big idea and go for something a little more sensible, or as others have added, split the opening in 2 with a column.

Not worth it for a bog standard (no offence meant!) house such as this, would be money down the pan and I doubt would add as much money to the value as it costs to do the work.

Lots of people don't watch property programs and worry about selling, and the value of their home at some future time. Some people just want to make their home a home and live in it

Sponsored Links

go back to school

jesus...

Geraint, do a simple stress and LTB check on a 6m steel taking about 19kN/m then start ranting like a little girl..

and you...

both skins.. and the same size of beam..

come on...

Come on geraint you muppet put your money where your mouth is for once instead of your boring little one liners?

Lots of people don't watch property programs and worry about selling, and the value of their home at some future time. Some people just want to make their home a home and live in it

Point taken but a project such as this could still be risky if you're mortgaged to the hilt.
Regardless of added value, to pursue the 'dream' of the 20ft opening on a house that doesn't suit itself to such an upgrade, can be compared to 'go faster stripes and a spoiler' on a Nissan Micra.

(even if it does bring the work in ;) )

go back to school

jesus...

and you...

come on...
I have done the calc and stick by 406dp.. it may be possible to reduce the section size of the outer leaf but not significantly and would also create issue with connecting the members together..

I serious hope Geraint that you are not in the building trade.. and i know for certain you are not in my line of work..

I agree with static gerraint is not substantiating his claims, if headroom was critical perhaps a 254UC might do the trick. Though it might be wise to leave returns which will reduce the span and ensure that the structure is still stable. I'm afraid you will have to pay a good structural engineer to get a defintive answer that is safe as houses.

go back to school

jesus...

and you...

come on...
I have done the calc and stick by 406dp.. it may be possible to reduce the section size of the outer leaf but not significantly and would also create issue with connecting the members together..

I serious hope Geraint that you are not in the building trade.. and i know for certain you are not in my line of work..

so what size for the outer leaf...

Hi Gerraint, without knowing the roof construction, span direction of floor joists, construction of the proposed extension etc, it would be difficult to determine the loads on the beams and thus be able to calculate their sizes, unless you know something we dont?

I would reduce the span to say 5m and use say something like a 254x146UB to support inner leaf of cavity wall and say a 254x102UB to support outer leaf, obviously to determine if the sizes are correct would need to employ a structural engineer to work out the actual loads and do proper calc's.

What sizes would you use Gerraint?

go back to school

jesus...

and you...

come on...

how would connecting two steels together become a problem...

whatever size they are....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back