6 Zone valves. Is that a record?

some one i know has UF heating, each room has its own stat, (downstairs they do) I have never been upstairs, but its at least 4 rooms and hall downstairs, so from what i understand of zone valves , it may just have more than 5

but excentric it may seem, they did it so as mentioned they can turn off any "unused" room

Sponsored Links
wilhelm said:
doctor drivel. did you make that name up or did someone suggest that to you?

i couldnt give a fekk about commercial /industrial sytems.

i honestly aint got the time. :cry: :LOL:

A tiny installation for a BMS system.
If you don't do commercial, you won't get to work for clients who have a specification of materials and workmanship; maybe you like it like that.

Most domestic installations are for people who can't tell the difference between the good, bad and ugly and assume everything is done the same. I never fail to be astounded by some of the carp installs I see in people's houses.

Doctor Drivel is a tedious troll who frequents the UK-DIY newsgroup, the Screwfix plumber's forum and probably many others. He changes his name regularly. He used to post here as Water Systems.

The best of his imbecilic rantings, are to be found at UK-DIY, where he formerly posted as IMM (International Man of Mystery!) and Adam. His usual retort , when he was getting a pasting from someone who knew about the subject he was pontificating about (which was quite often), was "snip drivel".

He seems to be an Austin Powers fan. He changed his ID to Dr. Evil, until someone pointed out that this was an anagram of 'drivel'. He promptly changed his name to "Doctor Evil" and later to "Doctor Drivel".

Drivel's recommendations include the classic cutting of plastic tube with a hacksaw, contrary to the manufacturers' recommendations because he knew better than they did. The subsequent leaking joints, due to damaged O-rings, were due to defective manufacture, and not his fault.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/search?hl=en&group=uk.d-i-y&q=hacksaw+drivel

He is a full-time troll and professional fcukwit who spends his life scouring the internet. He has no practical experience of anything.

Sponsored Links
One of our jobs at the moment is installing a large domestic system with 38 motorised rad valve heads.

The system controller can only divide this into 16 controllable zones. We are doing a 48 head system in August.

In my view, the more zones you can install, the better the fuel savings and comfort. Assuming of course, the customer is up to operating it.

Assuming of course, the customer is up to operating it.

Hit the nail on the bonce there, Simond.

I have taken out a large number of Honeywell AQ6000 control systems 'cos the punters could not "get the hang of it". They could just not understand that the rads do not have to be red hot to keep 'em warm. :rolleyes:

giblets said:
Assuming of course, the customer is up to operating it.

Few know how to operate a TRV. They keep winding them up and down. When they come in and they are cold many wind them up to 5. Then they get hot and wind it down to 2 and so on. Try telling them to leave it between 3 and 4 depending on what you like by leaving and using trial and error is like talking to the wall.

breezer said:
some one i know has UF heating, each room has its own stat, (downstairs they do) I have never been upstairs, but its at least 4 rooms and hall downstairs, so from what i understand of zone valves , it may just have more than 5

but excentric it may seem, they did it so as mentioned they can turn off any "unused" room

It is not exentric at all - it is standard with UFH.

Many UFH system have a manifold with small zone valves on it. You can do the same with rads.

Back to the person who thinks it is a good thing to take out the zone valve - he should learn about heating systems. It may be worth updating the clocks, etc, but leave the zone valves alone, they will make it cheaper to run.

simond said:
One of our jobs at the moment is installing a large domestic system with 38 motorised rad valve heads.

Are these the Sauter heads?

The system controller can only divide this into 16 controllable zones. We are doing a 48 head system in August.

In my view, the more zones you can install, the better the fuel savings and comfort. Assuming of course, the customer is up to operating it.

Simple local stats is all they need. Also a bank of simple centralized time clocks is easy to understand too with stickers on each one saying what it operates One for each timezone - a timezone could a number of zone valves, or even just one. A bank of simple time clock can be quite cheap too.

Then there is also the local stat/programmers as well. Again this can be quite cheap, but no central time control. Although one master time clock would switch all the heating on and off and the local stat/programmers do local time and temperature needs; which is best. Again very simple and easy and easy to understand.

Onetap said:
wilhelm said:
doctor drivel. did you make that name up or did someone suggest that to you?

i couldnt give a fekk about commercial /industrial sytems.

i honestly aint got the time. :cry: :LOL:

A tiny installation for a BMS system.
If you don't do commercial, you won't get to work for clients who have a specification of materials and workmanship; maybe you like it like that.

Most domestic installations are for people who can't tell the difference between the good, bad and ugly and assume everything is done the same. I never fail to be astounded by some of the carp installs I see in people's houses.

Me too. Most do finger in the air installs. Rule of thumb. One here thought a lot of zone valves was needless as he didn't understand too much.

Doctor Drivel is a tedious troll who frequents the UK-DIY newsgroup, the Screwfix plumber's forum and probably many others. He changes his name regularly. He used to post here as Water Systems.

You are clearly not good at this game and are intimidated by me. I do not go under the name of Water Systems at all. Doctor Drivel, and Drivel only. What names do you use?

The best of his imbecilic rantings, are to be found at UK-DIY, where he formerly posted as IMM (International Man of Mystery!) and Adam. His usual retort , when he was getting a pasting from someone who knew about the subject he was pontificating about (which was quite often), was "snip drivel".

No one has ever pasted me at all - as I know too much about this game, and clearly more than you. Sad but true. I post here with Maxie Raden.

<snip drivel>

Dan_Robinson said:
Wish I had 12" instead of the b****y great thing I've got

An old girlfriend used to call mine the "kickstand" ;).

vroom vroom.
mine`s more like a Jiffystand (USA bikespeak)and the Otto cycle........4 strokes and it`s all over :p :oops:

61154546_kISSmY.jpg

You know what to do... :LOL:

you so funny... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back