600 watts (on no load) - lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An "interesting" one today... lighting circuit, everything turned off, (on all circuits and disconnected) but 85 Ohms L to N resistance, (thats 600 Watts), tested again with power on and verified by LED "blicks" on meter... thats the entire lighting circuit "on" - but NOT

What can the "load" be?

wiring is a bit of "spaghetti" in the loft

?
confused...

Sponsored Links
Is this anything to do with your 'borrowed neutral' in your other post? Have you confirmed polarity/switched line conductors etc?

what do u mean by circuit switched off? actually switched off the MCB or just switched the lights off?

could be transformers if your using 12v lights, could be smoke alarms if on same circuit, same again with bathroom/kitchen fans

Sponsored Links
what do u mean by circuit switched off? actually switched off the MCB or just switched the lights off?

could be transformers if your using 12v lights, could be smoke alarms if on same circuit, same again with bathroom/kitchen fans

MCB off, no 12V lights etc.. smoke alarms run off 9V batteries

fans ... will check - yes there is one in the lighting circuit, I'll disconnect and re-check - borrowed neutrals, - another issue

duncanhead";p="1165123 said:

MCB off, no 12V lights etc.. smoke alarms run off 9V batteries

fans ... will check - yes there is one in the lighting circuit, I'll disconnect and re-check - borrowed neutrals, - another issue

yes it was the fan, but will run further tests tomorrow, strangely it went down to 35 Ohms, but when disconnected was 100 K Ohms +

Is this anything to do with your 'borrowed neutral' in your other post? Have you confirmed polarity/switched line conductors etc?

it's definitely switching the phase (live) - just checked (on the "problem" upstairs hall light)

Just keep on doing electrical work for profitable gain without qualification/competancy.

I'll find out what odds ladbrokes are offering on you getting sued for completing unsafe electrical installations.

How much public liability is it generally accepted as being the minimum for a domestic electrician?*

*I do commercial and domestic, and do PIR's, which generally need Professional Indemnity insurance, guess how much my cover is, and how much I pay a year.

Just keep on doing electrical work for profitable gain without qualification/competancy.

I'll find out what odds ladbrokes are offering on you getting sued for completing unsafe electrical installations.

How much public liability is it generally accepted as being the minimum for a domestic electrician?*

*I do commercial and domestic, and do PIR's, which generally need Professional Indemnity insurance, guess how much my cover is, and how much I pay a year.

I'd go for £1M... Directline in the Uk are quite good, about 15 -25 £ GBP / month

(do I need to insure that the electrons flow, or do not flow.. or what..??!!)

I'll leave this for other forum member to comment on when they awake later, I'll let you know what the minimum is, and what mine is later.

I'll leave this for other forum member to comment on when they awake later, I'll let you know what the minimum is, and what mine is later.

Ok, that'll be interesting, perhaps 1.5 £M GBP, and I'd guess that your Comprehensive cover is 5 x this amount (£100/m) .. but I'd really like to know...., it would be interesting to know "what it really costs" in the UK

http://www.browse.to.it/dl.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back