620mm worktop -> 616/618mm JIG - any good?

S

snadge

we have 620mm wide Solid Oak worktops from IKEA, iam looking for the tools to mitre them and have noticed the jigs for sale do NOT accompany 620mm worktops... i have seen 618mm and 616mm (600, 650, 700 aswell)

has anyone mitred these IKEA worktops.... ive measured it with my tape and it is dead on 620mm (i hoped it actually would be 618mm) and im worried because its a FOREIGN kitchen and ive already had problems with euro fittings on he kitchen sink etc...

will these 618mm/616mm jigs be any good?

thanks

Sponsored Links
is the worktop square edge or does it have a profile, if its square edge then no need for a mitre , if its profiled then that jig will be fine just take off the extra 2 mm with a block plane

If you are doing masons mitres then as long as the worktop jig is longer than the depth of the worktop ie 620mm worktop/650mm jig - there's no problem.

The router will just follow through past the end of the worktop when cutting the joint.

Clear as mud?

Steve

:)

Sponsored Links
You will however not be able to use the locating pegs and will have to position by measuring. As sugested it your other topic on the same subject.

yeah its 620mm wide but on ones ive seen this size isnt mentioned... nearest is 618mm

Yes this will be a problem but it can be overcome. I think I managed to use the smaller jig but was unable to use the locating dowels. Was a real pain. Not an easy job. The 30mm guide bush screws to router to fit in slot in jig. This should come with router. It needs to be a powerfull 1/2" router.
Try a hire shop, I think at the time I saw a jig that could do 500 TO 700 worktops.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=253832

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back