Question on using a Kitchen Worktop Template/Jig...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I recently tried to use a 'Forge Steel' Kitchen worktop jig from Screwfix to cut 2 Standard 90degree Female joints and the matching male & bolt holes.
The worktop was an Ikea one, laminated chipboard, that measured 620mm width. The problem I had was that when I came to fit the joints up, I found I was out by about 4 to 5mm and so had to take that much off the male end of the joint and then use a power sander to round off the now sharp angle to fit in the female end. I kind-of got there after a while but am confused as to why it was out? My initial conclusion was, I need more practice, but then isn't the point of a jig, which is pretty idiot proof, to guide you to a perfectly fitting joint?? My next conclusion, which is my question to you all is could it be because the width of the worktop was 620mm and I had to use the 616mm hole? Did this make me 'out' or wouldn't it matter??
Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty stumped!
Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
I found I was out by about 4 to 5mm and so had to take that much off the male end of the joint

What do you mean by being 'out'? Too long, too short? Give us a bit more detail.

The alignment blocks/holes are provided to help set-up for 'standard' cuts, but often have to be dispensed with when things aren't square or for other odd reasons; so set-up has to be based on careful measurement & setting-out, then effective clamping.

You are right - practice/experience is 'God'. New/sharp cutter, 3 (or 4) passes to get through (never attempt in 1 go), beware of the laminate surface break-out so always cut into the post-formed edge (flip one of the w/ts) and exit at the rear edge.

Hi Symptoms, by 'out' i mean, when i pushed the 2 worktops together i found that they did not fit snugly, there was a gap of about 4mm between them and so i had to take my sander to the rounded curve of the masons joint to sightly change/soften the angle and reduce the gap.....does that make sense!? basically what i think i'm trying to say is the 2 curved sections of the joints weren't the same...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back