63mm MDPE Service line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

What size mains mdpe pipe would be required for 2 studio flats and 1 1 bedroom flat all on combis and with no tanks?

The water company Veolia have provided a quote for a 63mm barrier pipe with a 4 port manifold which then reduces to 25mm at close to £5000!

Surely a 32mm pipe would be sufficient in terms of flow even if all 3 flats had a shower at the same time whilst running the washing machine and dishwasher, which is the worst case scenario?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on the mains pressure, I wouldn't go over 50mm in any case as it will need to be chlorinated.

And why barrier pipe, is there something you're not telling us.

To prevent interaction between users its often a better idea to have a seperate supply to each flat from the street.

If done at the outset its usually little more expensive as the tube is so cheap.

Tony

I didnt understand why they wanted barrier pipe as well?

Are they just trying to make more money?

What would be the best way to install the 3 lines if i decided to do it my self?

Im thinking if I lay 3 25mm mdpe pipes and then use a 3 port end feed manifold such as the type found on this site http://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/manifolds/water-meter-manifolds or could I simply connect these to the existing 25mm pipe right next to the street stopcock or should I request a new 32mm stop cock?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to post information about the pressure and length of pipe.

Expect they mean blue PE or MDPE.

length of the line to the street stopcock is 20/25 meters.

Im not sure on the pressure I think at least 2 bar without measuring.

thanks

I would run 3 25mm pipes within a few meters of the external stopcock.

I would then install the manifold and bury.

On the current 25mm mdpe would this be a suitable solution or is it advisable to upgrade to 32mm?

Thank you

Sorry, I thought that you meant to use a manifold at the flats.

Feeding all three from a 25 mm supply at the street is perhaps a little questionable but all depends on the mains pressure and supply resistance.

Best to try it and measure ALL the combinations of open pipe flow rates to each flat. I make that seven different results readings!

Tony

ive put a 63mm in for a block of 16 flats so i would guess what they have quoted is a guess.

the barrier pipe is probably standard spec unless you have provided ground contamination test results to prove there is no risk of water contamination into the pipe. Have you had the ground tested?

i got quoted £4170 for 2* 25/32mm feeds to our house that we are converting into 2 flats, the existing pipe is lead, we had that tested already to see if we can get it upgraded for FREE under their lead replacement scheme, but the test came back negative, so we will probably have to pay tog get it done. they did plan for a 32mm pipe with a 2 port manifold on it but i told them if im paying that sort of money i want to separate supplies with separate meters etc.

the biggest part of the cost is the excavation in the road, which apparently only they can do or one of the registered services/utilities companies can do, that alone came to about £1500 for 10m excavation in the road.

other option i guess is i can fit a water softener outside to break down the limescale that coats the interior of the lead pipe and wait a few weeks/month once the percentage of lead is high they will have to legally do it on their own expense

hamazz

3 port end feed manifold such as the type found on this site
The manifolds you linked to come with valves and meters, so would need to be fitted in a chamber.

I'd use the bare manifolds ( http://www.pipestock.com/mdpe/manifolds/manifold-kit-4-port/ )
then run 20 or 25mm MDPE to the individual flats, getting meters fitted in each flat by the local water authority.

BTW, the inlet/run of the Plasson manifolds is 2" BSP, the outlets are 25mm.
The end feed model is fitted in a run of 63mm MDPE, the centre feed is fitted at the end of a run of 63mm or into a BSP branch tee.

A manifold could be fitted close to or in the run of the 63mm main, or the main could be teed of in 63mm and the manifold fitted close to the property. 63mm Protecta-Line (barrier pipe) is available in 6 metre lengths.

Is the main already barrier pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back