6kg ceiling light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a new light for my lounge and it is a crystal type one and weighs 6kg. Is this too heavy to hang from the ceiling?

Sponsored Links
Things to consider
1. What type of ceiling you have plasterboard or lath an plaster, if plasterboard how thick is it ( 9mm or 12mm ) ?
2. Is there a joist above you can get at least one good fixing into?

Perhaps a picture of the ceiling?

Oh dear.

screenshot_834.jpg

Seriously, the best thing to do with that light is to send it back for a refund.

Sponsored Links
He has a 99.6% approval rating, and the product comes from Exeter. I wouldn't worry about BAS's comments and just concentrate on the ceiling construction.

With the correct support you can hang very heavy weights from a ceiling. The average Hunter ceiling fan weighs more than 6Kg and you'll see them everywhere.

6 Kg is a lot to hang on plaster board, especially if the ceiling is prone to vibration from children bouncing on beds in the room above. ( other bouncers are available ). Vibrations create dynamic loadings which can double the effective weight off the lamp on the mounting bracket.

So the best advice is to attach the new lamp to a joist or if it j#has to be between joist then attache it to a piece of wood above the plaster board. Both ends of the wood being attached to joists.

Hi, thanks for your comments, its a 1950s house with a plasterboard ceiling. Ill take a photo and upload it here, my dad use to do all my electrics but he passed away in November so im clueless. Is this a job an electrician would be bale to do?

We know what a plasterboard ceiling looks like!

A fitting that heavy cannot hang just from the plasterboard.
Do you have access to the ceiling from above (i.e. from the loft, or lift floorboards?)

Can you identify where the joists are and is there one at the place where the light will go?

An electrician can do it , but a decent handyman or Diyer, if you know one should be able to do it.
As said getting a fixing is the hardest point.
plasterboard wont be the original ceiling
usually it is by feel that its a joist rather than a wooden ceiling lath which possibly may not take the weight, you proberly wont know till you remove your existing light

He has a 99.6% approval rating,
By the time people have realised that they have cot something which is shoddy and dangerous they will either have already left feedback, or the time for doing it will be past.

and the product comes from Exeter.
Just how naïve are you? The seller is in China. He is Chinese. The light is not made in Devon, or even in the UK. It is made in China. And sold by someone in China. How many examples of such situations leading to people getting shoddy and dangerous goods do you have to encounter before you accept that the only sensible course of action is not to buy stuff sold by people in China?

I am a practical realist. Unlike you, I do not think that everybody is out to get me.

I like to live dangerously. Recently I bought a Samsung fridge/freezer. Samsung is headquartered in Suwon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. Does that put me at some sort of risk?

That amount of crystal for under 50 pound does cast doubt over the quality of the fitting, though the photos look nice, something similar in the uk would cost hundreds of pounds.
I would like to see a picture of inside the connection housing when it arrives.
The benefit of the large housing will give you a better chance of at least 2 good joist fixings as well as some additional toggle bolt fixings in plasterboard or screws through plasterboard into lathes, if needbe.
Dont be tempted to just use them plasterboard worm type fixings

I am a practical realist.
It is practical realism which leads me to advise avoiding potentially dangerous Chinese tat.

Unlike you, I do not think that everybody is out to get me.
I don't think that.

I like to live dangerously.
Do you think that because you like it you should advise everybody else to do the same?

Recently I bought a Samsung fridge/freezer. Samsung is headquartered in Suwon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea. Does that put me at some sort of risk?
FGS don't be ridiculous.

Have you really not seen any of the posts here which talk about, and show, some of the desperately unsafe stuff which comes out of China?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back