6mm + 10mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between 6 and 10 mm square cable as I saw them in B+Q but they both looked the same?

Sponsored Links
twinnieboy said:
can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between 6 and 10 mm square cable as I saw them in B+Q but they both looked the same?

they probably were :LOL:

a clue is 6 another is 10.

one is bigger than the other

CA6G.jpg
CA10.jpg

10mm Nominal O.D - 17.1mm x 10mm

6mm Nominal O.D - 13.5mm x 7mm

sorry one is grey and one is white

Thanx for the pics a big help.
In summary 6mm is single copper for live and neutral were as 10 mm is multi core for live and neutral
thanx again

Sponsored Links
There is a clear difference in size if you look at them side by side - and a hell of a difference when you come to try and terminate them! And whereas the live and neutral conductors of both are seven-stranded, the 'earth' on six-mill is solid and on ten-mill is stranded.

twinnieboy said:
No, they can't have done - 10mm² is immediately, obviously and significantly bigger than 6mm².

twinnieboy said:
Thanx for the pics a big help.
In summary 6mm is single copper for live and neutral were as 10 mm is multi core for live and neutral
thanx again

wrong. 4mm and above is stranded. 6mm has stranded phase and neutral, but non-stranded earth. 10mm has stranded earth

Can't understand why they can't emboss the size on the outer sheath - they put plenty of other stuff on there!

One maker "Pirelli" now prints the sizes on the cables - along with the CE mark too...

Happy New Year one and all!
ban-all-sheds wrote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who would need that info?
Twinnieboy for one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back