6mm Drill Bit For Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is nearly finished but need to attach a toilet roll holder and toilet brush holder to the tiled wall. The rawl plugs require a 6mm drill bit and looking into getting a decent bit that isn’t going to last one hole. There seems to be so many out there with poor reviews saying they don’t last long. Can anyone recommend a decent drill bit for drilling tiles? I have a few practice tiles left over to have a go on first.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Go for a heart shaped one that is used for drilling glass. Once you're through the glazing any masonry bit will do. Use masking tape to stop it sliding around, and spray on some water to cool the bit.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help everyone will have a look at the heart shaped ones

also called a "spear point"

speaking of spears, did you know iron railings in London, with pointed tops, used to be painted light green to resemble the verdigris on historic bronze spears?

If you have porcelain tiles, you'll need a diamond bit.
Why don't you look at 3M VHB tape?
I used it in my bathroom when i refurbished and 10 years later everything is still stuck solid.
The only holes i had to drill were for the towel radiator and large mirror.

If you have porcelain tiles, you'll need a diamond bit.
Why don't you look at 3M VHB tape?
I used it in my bathroom when i refurbished and 10 years later everything is still stuck solid.
The only holes i had to drill were for the towel radiator and large mirror.

Just had a look at that tape which is a good shout however it may be a bit tricky to get enough tape onto the bracket that holds the items on the wall.

Will double check the bracket first to see if it’s possible. I don’t want any movement on them like my old set had!

If you follow the instructions, warm the tile up, stick tape, warm the piece to attach and tape, then press it all together for 2 minutes, the only way to remove it would be to use a blade to cut the tape in my experience.

Don't like spear points. Get a decent diamond tip drill for tiles - it'll cost £12-£20 - the ones for a fiver are carp - they'll drill a couple of holes but don't last.

To drill the hole accurately (in small sizes) use a cordless drill, and first put the heel of the drill on the surface and touch the drill to the surface at about 45 degrees - it's easy to control like this and as soon as it starts to cut in you will find you can straighten the drill up without it skipping around.

For larger diameters it's sometimes better to use the bit first to cut a hole through a piece of ply and then use that as a location template to get an accurate start

The spear points will be fine for ceramic tiles but won't even scratch harder tiles such as porcelain.

As mrrusty says, you will need a diamond core bit for hard tiles. Personally, I don't like the 45 degree angle method when my hole has to be accurate to 1mm. I hot melt glue a template to the wall first.

If the tiles are indeed ceramic, consider paying a little more for the 4 point head ones, they are much faster. Some like the following

https://www.gassafetyshop.co.uk/Products/Tungsten-Tough-4-Cross-superior-tile-drill-bits

but not necessarily that particular one. Over the years I have found that they are less likely to wander off. When using them, I normally make a tiny indentation by using a hammer and screw.

If the tiles are on plaster or cement, only use the bit to cut through the tile. Once through, switch over to a masonry bit.

Its either the 3M tape as someone else suggested earlier on or if I do drill then I will use a decent 4 point head drill bit as the tiles are definatly ceramic and not porcelain. Appreciate the advice on how to drill accurately and with the least risk to damaging anything. I am tempted by the tape as I am concerned with the tiles being on plasterboard partition wall with no stud behind it there will still be some play in the item I am attaching. Don't want to find I go to attach the toilet roll holder that its wobbling around more (due to not enough support behind the tile) than if I had just used some super strong tape.

I am tempted by the tape as I am concerned with the tiles being on plasterboard partition wall with no stud behind it there will still be some play in the item I am attaching

Use both :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back