6mm ply over existing floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been advised to nail 6mm ply over the top of existing floorboards before having underlay and carpet fitted.

I originally ask them for a sound insulating solution and proposed they use a laminate underlay under Cloud 9 underlay - the ply board solution is what they came back with...

Is it a good idea? :?:

Sponsored Links
laminate underlayment is suitable for....... laminate
carpet underlayment is suitable for.... carpet

Don't mix the two and think you can get away with a cheaper solution - it'll come back to haunt you in the end. Ply is needed to create a sturdy and level surface.

laminate underlayment is suitable for....... laminate
carpet underlayment is suitable for.... carpet

Don't mix the two and think you can get away with a cheaper solution - it'll come back to haunt you in the end. Ply is needed to create a sturdy and level surface.

Thanks, this much I fathomed although the advice was provided by quite a big underlay trade company who I initially contacted about silentfloor...

So, ply over floorboards is do-able; what's the best way to fix it i.e. what type of screw?

Staples are easier to use in this case, 6mm ply is not that thick.

Sponsored Links
Staples are easier to use in this case
Not if you've got an 'air' nailer :D
Seriously, opinions differ on the merits of staples versus ring nails,have done for years.Most hard flooring guys I know prefer ring nails though.... ;)
mack

Use 20mm ringshank nails mulligan. The right length for a secure fixing without pentrating any dodgy plumbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back