6mm ply to help level floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to an extension I have an uneven bit of floor. Can I level this off with 6mm ply on top of existing chipboard floor. This will be followed by underlay and carpet throughout.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
6mm will conceal a bit of unevenness, for example where old floorboards have been patched and there are cuts and maybe gaps or cupping in the boards, it will prevent the floor covering wearing out too quickly.

But it sounds like you might mean levelling, and it is not strong enough to use as a ramp.

Please describe the problem you have.

Putting 6mm ply ontop of chipboard won't level the floor. It will raise it 6mm though.
You need to use a fibre reinforced screeding compound.

Thanks guys. Maybe I chose the wrong wording. It's pretty level however the extension part is approx 6mm higher than the existing part. Previous owners/builder had put down a layer of 6mm fibreboard as underlay but a double layer on the existing to bring the height up to match the rest of the room.

So I'm wanting to scrap the Fibreboard and replace with normal carpet underlay. But will need to add height of 6mm to a portion of the room. Hence the plywood option.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back