7.9m wide decking and jointing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my first post in the gardening section so go easy on me... :LOL:

Just looking to deck over my existing patio, that is quite honestly a shambles. Whoever installed it should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

It is directly out of the back of the house and spans the full length of the end terrace. It is going to be 2.9m from house to grass and 7.9m wide at a height of 7" to go directly from back door height to grass height (another special part of this patio layers job...).

My questions:
what is the best way to lay supporting structure so as to have it most secure. I'm not sure I just want to lay it on the current patio as it will be such a large area, but I'm limited for space with 7" height.

I'm also wary of joining lengths for the subframe to get it 7.9m wide, how is this best achieved?. I am anticipating that the frame will be secured to the house for 7m and the two adjacent walls for 2.9m. My only fear is making that distance of 7.9m and it being secure. Any tips on joist distances, size etc would be excellent!

I was considering putting the decking at 60 degrees from the house line as that would be roughly 3.4m from grass to house (rough measurements yesterday by eye only), and would keep waste to a minimum if I bought the 3.6m decking lengths.

Thanks for you advice in advance. I'm sure there are things I've forgotten but this is a learning curve as I've never laid decking before and this area seems quite a large one to start off with!

Sponsored Links
If you can use the patio, it's at the right height, it's perfect for the decking.

I can certainly leave the patio in place, it is just about level enough to work with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back