8-core alarm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is it used for?

The reason I ask is that I think I may well run cables for a new alarm system before I decide exactly what to fit. I have a couple of reels of 6-core cable, but am wondering if this is enough?

Sponsored Links
What is it used for?

The reason I ask is that I think I may well run cables for a new alarm system before I decide exactly what to fit. I have a couple of reels of 6-core cable, but am wondering if this is enough?

as long as you run from each device position back to the control unit you`ll be fine with 6 - core

It might be an idea to plan what your going to fit & where ....... That way you will have a better idea of what cables & how many cores are going to go where :confused:

Me thinks one big chunky cable with lots of cores running to the upper levels will look better than loads of lil uns' ........ But either way its up to you :)

100m - I thought would be plenty for 5 pirs + 1 keypad + 1 speech&Text Dialer + 1 BellBox.
I have about 8m left
:rolleyes:
make sure have enough, because I know what its like having to wait or go out and source more...

Sponsored Links
It might be an idea to plan what your going to fit & where ....... That way you will have a better idea of what cables & how many cores are going to go where :confused:

Me thinks one big chunky cable with lots of cores running to the upper levels will look better than loads of lil uns' ........ But either way its up to you :)

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I think there are only three cables going upstairs - one for the landing PIR, one for a panic switch and the other for the bell box. I guess that I will add more, but I'm not sure that it'll be enough to make using a big multicore worthwhile - after all I'd need to have a connection block in the loft to then split it off to smaller cables...

Thanks for the suggestion. At the moment I think there are only three cables going upstairs - one for the landing PIR, one for a panic switch and the other for the bell box. I guess that I will add more, but I'm not sure that it'll be enough to make using a big multicore worthwhile - after all I'd need to have a connection block in the loft to then split it off to smaller cables...

Its a total cowboy way of doing it anyway, you should run cables from each device back to the panel.
Never design i system with joints, it only leads to problems.

loads of bargains here if you need anything
***Advertising link removed***

Whoa yeah...... You don't want to go around joining cables ........ You should by full lengths from me ........ :eek:

I'm not sure which is the more lucrative ........ Thievery or Security :rolleyes:

Whoa yeah...... You don't want to go around joining cables ........ You should by full lengths from me ........ :eek:

I'm not sure which is the more lucrative ........ Thievery or Security :rolleyes:

Prices are very keen you idiot, but i won't post anymore links as i have been asked not to.

As for your advice, what are you a BT 'engineer' [I use the term loosely]
i may spend a little more time on here in future as some of the advice is just a joke.
Telling someone to design a system with joints? WTF?
all that does is give the chance of problems, although i assume its just one more to add to the list of any alarm you have installed, if you have installed any that is.

Prices are very keen you idiot, but i won't post anymore links as i have been asked not to.

As for your advice, what are you a BT 'engineer' [I use the term loosely]
i may spend a little more time on here in future as some of the advice is just a joke.
Telling someone to design a system with joints? WTF?
all that does is give the chance of problems, although i assume its just one more to add to the list of any alarm you have installed, if you have installed any that is.

dont knock yourself out kid, some of us have been banging out the same tune for months - nothing changes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back