826mph Breaking the sound barrier - not

Sponsored Links
The article makes no distinction between ground speed and air speed.;)

The article makes no distinction between ground speed and air speed.;)
China Airlines Flight 6, which covers the same route as Flight 5116, reached a speed of 822 mph on Friday.

The Eva Airlines Flight 32 from Taipei to New York saw a maximum speed of 821 mph. In addition, The Washington Post has included a list of flights that reached extremely high speeds over Thursday and Friday:

Sponsored Links
Sorry @noseall , but what is the point you are trying to make?
It's an utterly pointless thread. I seem to have posted it in the correct place though. Utterly pointless other than the fascinating fact that an object can surpass the speed of sound, without incurring the sound barrier busting sonic boom - simply because the air is moving along with it.

I thought it was interesting in any case.

It's an utterly pointless thread. I seem to have posted it in the correct place though. Utterly pointless other than the fascinating fact that an object can surpass the speed of sound, without incurring the sound barrier busting sonic boom - simply because the air is moving along with it.

I thought it was interesting in any case.
Yes, it is really interesting - I'm afraid I just wasn't getting your point of view :)

It's also interesting (at least to me!), that the speed of sound at an airliners cruising altitude (say 40'000 ft) is only about 670mph, compared to 760 at ground level.
So to get to 820mph (with still air) would be 150mph faster than the speed of sound!

It's also interesting (at least to me!), that the speed of sound at an airliners cruising altitude (say 40'000 ft) is only about 670mph, compared to 760 at ground level.
Just a comment - (as you probably know) speed of sound is independent of pressure, just varies as sq. root of absolute temperature. Would be about -40°C at the altitude to give those speeds.

Sponsored Links
Back