9.5kw Instant Water Heater

Pal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to buy one of these for the downstair loo basin. It is a mile (slight exageration ;) ) from the hot water cylinder and I have both mains water and a 10mm cable direct from the fuse box in close vicinity.

I have found the following:-

Triton TW10i
Hyco IN95
Screwfix Undersink water heater

Does anyone have any views/recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Pal

Sponsored Links
yep I fitted a srewfix undersink blah blah to a factory unit about 18 months ago works fine the one i bought plugs straight into a socket on the other side of the wall

I was just about to post a very similar question, but just in time I had an attack of the smarts and decided to search first.

I've found the Screwfix and Hyco ones, and the fact that Triton make one doesn't surprise me (I guess many other shower manufacturers will also).

Are they all much of a muchness?

Pal - did you fit one? Which one? OK?

My only different requirement is that I'll need one to feed multiple places - sink, handbasin and shower.

I really didn't know what to go for, my research seemed to show there was not much difference between them all including price (all about £130).

But I found the triton TW10i for £90 plus VAT from a plumbers merchants in East London which I found on the internet and went for this because it seemed a good price for a major branded product (even though I paid an extra tenner to a parcel delivery firm to pick it up and delivery it to me as the plumbers don't do mail order.

I am very pleased with it so far but check out what triton say about it for multipoint use.

Pal

Sponsored Links
These might be a good thing for people who want an electric shower but wish to have something more aesthetically pleasing. You could fit one of those 9.5kW undersink heaters and use it to supply a standard shower mixer, great!

I've got some experience with a 12kW RedRing Powerstream.

Its a nice small compact unit - however apart from the huge cable and circuit breaker you need for it - when you open it up you'll see why its absolutely useless for filling a bath or big shower. Inside is a single loop of pipe, which of course is great because it doesn't reduce the incoming pressure, however the water doesn't get much time to be heated up as it whizzes through the loop.

Basically you have to turn the flow right down on your tap / outlet to get a hot temperature out of it. At full flow with a tap fully open mine is "luke warm" - probably 20 degrees approx.

It makes turning on valves and taps a science! It takes quite a bit of getting used to. I've found for a basin spout its fine though as the amount of flow is quite low for that application.

So if you wanted to fill a bath, (this is theory) you have to turn it down to a dribble and leave it running for ages!

I've also got a small 4.5kw Dafi one (bought off Ebay) that I'm going to use for a kitchen sink - I did a quick experiment with that but it reduces the flow massively unlike the Redring - but the temperature coming out was certainly good, but again only good for handwashing I'd say.

So in conclusion - these sort of instantaneous heaters are great tech for basins... or small spray head showers, but erm not much good for anything else!

cheers Robin - brilliant - a very useful link for anyone considering this method of hot water provision if they need to use this method like I have - definately agree with a lot of the FAQ's on that page.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back