9.5kw showers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a 9.5kw shower plumbed into my bathroom and it has been connected to my old council fitted MK box which is approximately 12 years old.I bought an RCBO 32amp ,but then realised that i should have installed a 40amp ,i think.???
As i had a lot of trouble trying to fit the RCBO into the old style box ,i am going to upgrade the whole box to a split board type,which are widely available.I am going to fit a 12 way box as i plan to build an extension in the future,but have noticed that in all the split board DB boxes the Max size of the fuse off the RCBO 30ma breaker is 40amp,this seems standard as a lot of different types of makes of these boxes also offer 40amp.Will this be large enough for my 9.5kw shower.????
Also when i upgrade i also have an old cooker point fitted directly from the box off an 45amp breaker
I do not want to do away with this circuit ,when i buy the new split board DB could i also connect this old circuit to one of the 32amp breakers for now.The circuit is not being used but i would like to keep it as an option.The cable is 6mm on this circuit.

Sponsored Links
9.5kw equates to just under 40A, so yes, your 32A MCB/RCBO is not big enough. You say it is on 6mm cable which, depending on the installation method and length, may be too small for the addtional load. This needs to be checked before the supply is uprated.
I'd advise against DIY replacement of a consumer unit.
If you live in England/Wales then all this will be notifiable to LABC under part P of the building regs.

The old cooker circuit is wired with 6mm,and looks as though it has never been used.
The shower circuit is wired with 10mm with all the amenities being earth bonded with 10mm.I have been told to wire from the earth incoming to the new box in 16mm???.
When i buy the new box could i wire the old cooker circuit to a 32amp breaker,on its own.
Also do the meter tails have to be 16mm or 25mm.I did the regs in 95 but an been offshore since.
You are correct it will need part P inspection on completion.

coltmanneil said:
You are correct it will need part P inspection on completion.
That's not what Spark123 was pointing out. Part P requires you to notify the LABC before you start work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparky 123,

I went offshore in early nineties because the domestic game was quiet and the money wasnt too good.I did the 16th but that was a doddle compared to this Part P classification.So as you can guess i am a little losted when it comes to knowing what you are allowed to do and what certificates are needed.

Thanks again all.

regards

Neil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back