90 degree drill/driver attachment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting ready to screw down some loft boards (having built the loftzone storefloor kit). But near the eaves, space is tight and I can't even get an impact driver in the gap let alone my combi drill.

Are any of the 90 degree/right angled attachments any good?
Or should I look at a dedicated right angled drill unit? Makita do a cordless one and I have some of their cordless tools.

Sponsored Links
I've got a Makita CXT Right angle driver which I like. It's about 60nm so plenty enough for driving beefy screws. I use it to get into tight spaces to do up or break M8 bolts. Depends on how much of this work you do to justify buying the proper tool I suppose.

They're doing a CXT right angle drill, ordered one from Germany just after Christmas but it's got lost in the post so I'm not sure how that is but currently it's only out there and in Hong Kong I believe.

As for attachments, I've always preferred dedicated tools but I know a lot of people who recommended the dewalt attachment. They're quite tricky to get hold of here mind so it might be a case of ordering one from the states. DWARA100 is the item number. There are variants of this online but I couldn't comment on reliability.

Attachments

• Makita_TL064DZ.jpg
    Makita_TL064DZ.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 10480024958_1_web.jpg
    10480024958_1_web.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 108
  • dewalt_dwara100_5.jpg
    dewalt_dwara100_5.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 131
just a thought
if the supports are at right angles or lying in a line tying both halves off the sloping roof together could you not go back say 3 or 4" countersink and using a screw an inch longer screw in at 45% or what ever the roof angle is :?:

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
just a thought
if the supports are at right angles or lying in a line tying both halves off the sloping roof together could you not go back say 3 or 4" countersink and using a screw an inch longer screw in at 45% or what ever the roof angle is :?:
Because these are end boards, they need six screws rather than the usual three. There are two loft boards (1220x350) so that's six screws in total that need to be screwed in towards the edge of the board. I had already accounted for the gap at the front and back eaves of the loft - it's just the side bit.

The supports are galvanised steel. I've got no idea how easy it will be to drive wood screws through them perpendicularly, let alone at an angle.

Does there even need to be a fixing there?

Does it need to be be drilled, or just screw through?

Screwing on an angle wont create a problem.

Despite seeming a useful thing to have, I think I've used mine one or two times in the past 10 years. The alternative fixing/drilling methods have always been adequate.

Despite seeming a useful thing to have, I think I've used mine one or two times in the past 10 years. The alternative fixing/drilling methods have always been adequate.

What would you have done if you had not had it on those occasions?
I certainly wouldnt have been able to complete my projects without one and for the 15 quid it cost and the little space it takes to store I think its a no brainer.
I guess its a different story if one is lashing out on a dedicated power tool costing well over a Ton when not doing for a living?
litl

What would you have done if you had not had it on those occasions?
I certainly wouldnt have been able to complete my projects without one and for the 15 quid it cost and the little space it takes to store I think its a no brainer.
I guess its a different story if one is lashing out on a dedicated power tool costing well over a Ton when not doing for a living?
litl

Drilled holes prior to assembly

Skew drilled or fixed.

Bodged a hole with a stubby chisel or punch.

Angle drills are a recent thing to the masses. Things got done previously perfectly well without them, and I dont know what specific projects would rely on there being an angle drill available, otherwise they could not be done.

Does there even need to be a fixing there?
Yes. These are end boards and need six screws through each one - two at the top, two at the middle and two at the bottom. I have enough space to screw in towards the left edge of the boards (away from eaves) but I don't have enough space to screw in at the right edge of the board (next to the eaves). Even towards the middle of the board will be difficult.

Does it need to be be drilled, or just screw through?
Apparently, I don't need to drill any pilot holes. Just drive the screw into the loftboard and through the underlying steel support.

I'd rather try to avoid bodging something if I can. Sometimes, it's inevitable. In this case, there are alternatives. The Dewalt angled chuck for £26 might be enough where I don't need a right angled drill (the Makita one is about £160).

Looking at that kit, I'm not sure that the end of the boards actually need to be fixed. They are not not doing anything.

Looking at that kit, I'm not sure that the end of the boards actually need to be fixed. They are not not doing anything.
It may well be overkill, especially as all the other boards need just three screws down the centre line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back