__BASIC question about choc block choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant site- so glad I found you guys!

Very simple question. I've spent hours searching the forum and Google but to no avail.

I simply need to work out what amp choc block is best to join a single wire on my lamp(the other wire is still in tact) It states a bulb of 40W max(although seems fine with a 60W) and has a 3amp fuse.

With a small gap to squeeze into, do I need a 5amp choc block or could I get away with a 3amp, bearing in mind its extensive use.

Thank you so so much in advance for any advice!

Loz

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that one of the two wires going into the lampholder fitting is broken?

Where on the lamp? (base, top..)

Sponsored Links
Before anyone mentions wrapping it in tape :)

Can't the entire length of wire be replaced?

Before anyone mentions wrapping it in tape :)

Can't the entire length of wire be replaced?

That's why I was asking where the 'break' was. Thinking he may be able to re-wire with the original rather than use a join.

Thanks thus far for all of your sterling input - highly appreciated.

Alas, it transpires my details were lacking somewhat. Correct, one of the two wires needs re-connecting midway with no option of anything other than re-connecting them.

As EFLImpudence mentioned, if '60W is a quarter of an amp,' then I would assume my preferable 3amp choc bloc (unwrapped!) will be sufficient based on a standard 230V lamp.

Keen to really get my head around electronics and I would say my query was certainly starting at the very bottom - teehee.

No doubt I will be back to pick your brains again chaps but in the meantime. Thankyou eternally for the above.

Presumably we are talking about the flex on a table lamp or similar?

There's been no mention about the connector block being in an enclosure.

It seems to me the best way of joining a flex for something like this is to use an enclosed in-line connector or an in-line switch (live must go through the switch, neutral not so important).

Hopefully, the 'small gap' you are going to 'squeeze' the connector block in is some form of enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back