A Baffling problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year i had a torrential leak from my bathroom which i put down to bad sealant around the walk-in shower.
Since then, i've had no problems but last monday i found it was back again in the same place. It seemed my work in drying out the wood coving around my kitchen ceiling, taking out damaged plaster and repainting affected areas was all for naught.
I said a bad word.
It felt good, so i said it again.

Does cold air and warm weather cause pipes to expand and contract - if this is the case, then it may begin to explain why i get leaks at the end of autumn and in the winter. If it isn't the shower, which would surely leak every time i use it if that was the source of my problem, and it doesn't; then perhaps it's the pipes leading into the shower. A difficult diagnosis to make since they're behind the shower wall and under the floor.
But i can't think of another location for the leak to spring from.

Is there a sealant that can be introduced into the pipework and sent round by the boiler, such as would be used to fix a leaky radiator. I mean, it's all pipes, innit?

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated as it's driving me round the u-bend! :confused:

Sponsored Links
You have not told us about the obvious aspect which needs establishing before devising a solution.

If it is a pipework leak then it will leak all the time. [ Providing the control valve directly supplies the head. ]

If it only happens when the shower is used then it will be a sealing or waste pipework problem.

Last year i had a torrential leak from my bathroom which i put down to bad sealant around the walk-in shower.
Since then, i've had no problems but last monday i found it was back again in the same place.

Does cold air and warm weather cause pipes to expand and contract - if this is the case, then it may begin to explain why i get leaks at the end of autumn and in the winter.

If it isn't the shower, which would surely leak every time i use it

But i can't think of another location for the leak to spring from

Weather can cause all pipes to expand and contract slightly but they shouldn`t leak then reseal.
Yes the shower should leak everytime you use it IF the problem is there.
Use the shower head or jugs of water to put water on the sealant and see if it appears downstairs
Is there any flex or movement in the shower tray around the edges?

Sponsored Links
And the question one might hesitate to ask a client, is there anyone heavier than the average who could be causing the tray to flex and open up a sealing ?

Yes, the problem surfaces after a shower, but not all the time and no, we're all average build here, so no undue weight is placed upon the shower tray: i've checked the seals around the shower and find no leakage from there, either.
I assume you mean the handle to turn on the shower when you say 'control valve', and i find no problem there - that i can see. I did feel some water around the handle of the stopcock, however, and the back of the cupboard where it's accessible felt damp, so some leaking may be coming down the pipe from there.
The wall behind the shower unit was tanked when fitted and i wonder if some water is finding its way through the brickwork?

I've found this on amazon: CTI Miracle Seal and they say it will work on pipework....but anything with the word 'Miracle' in it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, right?

And the question one might hesitate to ask a client, is there anyone heavier than the average who could be causing the tray to flex and open up a sealing ?

I was called to a property where there was an insurance claim of bad workmanship, saying the bath/shower was leaking when in use. Upon arrival at the property I was met with the husband who was in an excess of 30st. I had to report this back to the office and the claim was rejected. (I could not find any fault in the bathroom)

Andy

Its a bit chilly at the moment. Any chance a drain is freezing and backing up?

It may be a drain, it may be ... but we just don't know.

Only one thing for it...

It is time to call...The Leak Detectors.

I was called to a property where there was an insurance claim of bad workmanship, saying the bath/shower was leaking when in use. Upon arrival at the property I was met with the husband who was in an excess of 30st. I had to report this back to the office and the claim was rejected. (I could not find any fault in the bathroom)

Andy
"We're really sorry,Sir.
You're too fat to be insured"
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well, the problem is in check - sort of - for now: had a guy come round yesterday with all kinds of equipment to check the shower which he declared to be the problem; specifically the shower tray. As i said, i'm not a heavy chap but he insisted the weight in the shower was causing small cracks to open in the seals around the base of the shower wall and allow leaks through.
He could find no leaks using thermal imaging but he did correct my water pressure by blowing gas through the pipes to clear the system out.
However, i'm still puzzled.
I used the shower this morning without a problem, so if the shower tray is the source of the leak, why would it not still be leaking?
Maybe i'm just easily confused.

However, i'm still puzzled.

Sometimes, especially with showers, you just have to bite the bullet and start again. If it is the tray that is moving the only way to fix it properly is take it out and check the floor then repair as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back