A bit of advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im 21 and qualified last year, since leaving my company ive been subcontracting trying to gain more experience but ive found chasing money of firms alot off hassle, especially when mortgage and bills are due and promised payments fail to appear.

Basically im thinking about joining a goverment body (thinking about elecsa as it looks the best for me so far from what ive read) so i can start doing some of my own jobs, i was just wondering if someone could explain how it all works regarding part p, ive served my apprenticeship doing commercial and industrial work so never came across part p as far as im aware its just for domestic dwellings?

Also what are the steps in regards to changing a D.B if there is no isolator on the tails? if im part p registered does that mean i can pull the main incoming fuse?

I need to start making some money and im forever turning DB changes down because im unable to sign off work and the 400 a year that it cost to get registered i could easily recoup in my own weekend jobs.

Thanks for any answers.

Sponsored Links
The amount of people who give up and go cards in again shows it's not easy.

The problem is people with very little skill can still get work self employed by dropping their price. And unless you have a good name you are competing with them.

For some reason as soon as people find your not doing it on the side they don't want to know you any more. They want it on the cheap and think paying a guy £20 to fit a socket is a fair price even when he driven 10 miles each way to do the job and he had to move furniture too.

And for every hour worked you spend another hour doing paperwork and driving. Simple things like deliveries where they promise 9am and your still sitting in your house at 11am.

It is a lot of hassle. And when you want to stop you can't quit like normal job you will have half a dozen jobs un-finished where waiting for builder, or council, etc. And either you write off what you have spent or every spare min is spent finishing off jobs.

And the other companies don't help. You are told an electrician must be on site when they come to connect the power and are given a day. Not a time, and you site there twiddling your thumbs waiting. The only way my son managed was to call on my services.

Sponsored Links
The plan was to just use it for side jobs and continue working as i am.
If allowed? Working in factories there was no restriction but when working on domestic it was always in my conditions of employment that I was not allowed to do electrical work for pay for anyone else. It is a standard clause to stop you pouching work.
On the side very had for anyone to catch one but once you go down the member of scheme route hard to say your not working for anyone else.
It is allowed when self employed of course as it is one way to satisfy tax people you are truly self employed. But not cards in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back