A bit of bondage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Yup.

And the fillings in your teeth - you never know when you might accidentally start chewing a cable.

Well, strictly speaking he doesn't, but you might.

Yup.

And the fillings in your teeth - you never know when you might accidentally start chewing a cable.

Well, strictly speaking he doesn't, but you might.

Yes but cables are something that is very difficult for the human teeth to get a firm grip of :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Firstly Sparticus - the RCD trips within 0.04 of a second.

Second - perhaps all of this will become clear when you look at the second method of combating high loop impedance. 413-02-04 (ii) of the 16th Edition - "protection shall be provided by means of a residual circuit device".

All that has happened is that somebody has simply rediscovered but unfortunately misinterpreted, the technical reasoning behind the convention of using an RCD (or voltage operated trip) as a main switch in a TT system.

Firstly Sparticus - the RCD trips within 0.04 of a second.

A 30mA RCD is designed to disconnect within 0.04 seconds at 150mA
Will it always disconnect?
What about an RCBO?

How do you know what current the child will "draw" when connected?

0.04 seconds (40 mS) will allow 2 cycles of AC. Is that safe?

All that has happened is that somebody has simply rediscovered but unfortunately misinterpreted, the technical reasoning behind the convention of using an RCD (or voltage operated trip) as a main switch in a TT system.

You are correct, that person is you.

PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT THE 16th EDITION. WE ARE IN 2011.

You're partially correct.

Somebody has indeed unfortunately misinterpreted some technical regulations.

0.04 seconds (40 mS) will allow 2 cycles of AC. Is that safe?
Definitely not guaranteed to be safe. Indeed, in the worst of circumstances, it could be lethal. Another of those 'misconceptions' about RCDs making people electrocution-proof!

Kind Regards, John.

Another of those 'misconceptions' about RCDs making people electrocution-proof!

Indeed, as I've stated on this forum more than once in the past, it seems that by way of misleading advertising, the RCD has been elevated in the eyes of some laymen to the status of being the panacea for all known electrical ills, which it simply is not. I find it somewhat alarming that the trend seems to be toward using the presence of an RCD to be excuse for allowing standards in other areas to be dropped significantly (as in, for example, the new regulation permitting supplementary bonding to be omitted).

Indeed, as I've stated on this forum more than once in the past, it seems that by way of misleading advertising, the RCD has been elevated in the eyes of some laymen to the status of being the panacea for all known electrical ills, which it simply is not. I find it somewhat alarming that the trend seems to be toward using the presence of an RCD to be excuse for allowing standards in other areas to be dropped significantly (as in, for example, the new regulation permitting supplementary bonding to be omitted).
Totally agreed. As for your example, as you will have seen, despite the flak and/or ridicule it generates everytime I mention it (sometimes with comparisons between me and the main protagonsit of this thread!), I'm a great believer in having electrical continuity between any metallic parts that can be simultaneously touched, regardless of what the regs may say. If I'm confident that continuity exists because of, say, metallic pipework which I know is always going to be there, then I'm happy with that. If not, out comes the G/Y cable!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back