A bit of bondage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll contact Amazon first, to see if they have anything to say, although I'd guess they don't want a review that fails to sell their offerings. Clearly though, Mr Incompetent himself has been in touch.

I've submitted another review - maybe that will get through their anti-truth filter?

I wonder if the IET will get back to me?

Sponsored Links
There's not much point to having reviews which are supposed to be of use to people if the producers of works being reviewed can get anything critical removed.

Hello Everyone,
I am sorry if this book has upset you.

The reason that the punctuation is the way it is, is because I am trying to speak slowly for the benefit people who aren't as bright as you believe that you all are.

My qualifications are all distinctions and merits.

This book is simply the 16th edition put into pictures.

The 17th edition is based on earthing standards from around the world written by people with no experience of British conditions, unlike the 16th edition which was written by our elders and betters.

The terminology that you use at this time has only been made possible by first removing the definition of "earth leakage current" in 2001.

Only after 2001 when I first spoke to the iee and pointed out that they had mis-used the word 'radial' did a legal disclaimer first appear in BS 7671. Prior to this it didn't need one.

The word Extraneous is used in the 16th edition to describe things that aren't part of the electrical system, therefore any earth cables associated with extraneous-conductive-parts will always be 'supplementary' to the electrical system.

If in future years somebody comes up with a way of automatically disconnecting the supply, based on the capacitance of the human body then we will no longer be reliant on eebads. But at this point that seems unlikely, therefore we are stuck with it. For one thing it is the only method of protecting ourselves from 400v phase to phase contact, secondly as we live on a saturated island in the middle of the North Sea therefore it is also the best way to stop people from killing small children and the elderly in their own homes. If you don't believe that you are in contact with earth, buy yourself a neon screwdriver.

I am also a successful contributor to BS 5839-1, our fire alarm system standards. An awful lot of the amendments that I have put forward have also been deferred to the next major re-write. If Geoff Cronshaw was honest he would also admit that it was me who suggested using rcd's to protect all general purpose socket outlets.

Regards,

David Cockburn.

You might think you're clever but unless you are having serious problems getting your technical statements across then I'm afraid you are not.
Eebads (now ADS) is not the method of protection against phase to phase contact.
Main bonding to extraneous services eg water, gas, oil is not regarded as supplementary.
And if your book is trying to make sense of earthing and bonding to laypersons then why are you using capacitance, when it would be far clearer to simply use resistance which is the major factor in how much current will flow through the human body.

Why are you writing a book based on a previous version of BS7671 ?

Sponsored Links
Erm, Dave, do you know what capacitance is?

There's so much wrong with what you've written, it's difficult to pick specifics out.

How many copies have you sold anyway?

Errr Dave. My Neon screwdriver still works when I am wearing rubber trainers and standing on rubber flooring. It still works in Dubai in the desert wearing rubber soles. Maybe I need suplimental bonding? or maybe I'm a capacitor? Or maybe a Neon screwdriver doesnt work how you "know" it does
[/quote]

Oh my god - I have only just read this and the extracts.

Most of it is completely incorrect and completely out of date.

Hello Everyone,
Sorry enough to withdraw it from sale?

The reason that the punctuation is the way it is, is because I am trying to speak slowly for the benefit people who aren't as bright as you believe that you all are.
Oh?

"In order for current to flow 'through' the human body, the body will need to have a second point of contact, usually with earth but sometimes with neutral or worse, with a live conductor supplied by a different 'phase'!"

How does putting the words through and phase in quotes make people read more slowly?

Do you actually have any understanding of what punctuation is, and how to use it properly?

The copyright date is 2009.

It was first published on 18th November 2009.

The 16th Edition was superseded in 2008.

If your aim was "to help explain a subject that can appear at first glance to be very complicated", what on earth was the value in giving people an explanation of an obsolete standard?

The 17th edition is based on earthing standards from around the world written by people with no experience of British conditions, unlike the 16th edition which was written by our elders and betters.
1) Looking at the lists of names on pp 2 & 8 that does not appear to be the case.

2) Whatever you think of it it is the current version, the 16th is dead and buried, and the 17th is the one you should be using, including its terminology.

The word Extraneous is used in the 16th edition to describe things that aren't part of the electrical system
Irrelevant.

If in future years somebody comes up with a way of automatically disconnecting the supply, based on the capacitance of the human body then we will no longer be reliant on eebads.
"EEBADS"?

What's that?

If Geoff Cronshaw was honest he would also admit that it was me who suggested using rcd's to protect all general purpose socket outlets.
I'm sure he's thrilled to be associated with you.

Hello Everyone,

I think the correct word is not upset, but entertained.

It's not though, is it? It's because you are not as literate as you believe you are.

My qualifications are all distinctions and merits.

That's no what "no higher qualification..." means on your certificates.

No it's not. It's just wrong.

The 17th edition is based on earthing standards from around the world written by people with no experience of British conditions...

Cobblers. The earthing (and bonding) requirements are, in effect, identical.

The terminology that you use at this time has only been made possible by first removing the definition of "earth leakage current" in 2001.

Only after 2001 when I first spoke to the iee and pointed out that they had mis-used the word 'radial' did a legal disclaimer first appear in BS 7671. Prior to this it didn't need one.

As I have access to a large library, I'll be checking this and getting back to you. By the way, you seem confused about the term, so you might want to check.

2001? Is that why you've chosen to use 911 in your username and email address? You're a funny guy.

The word Extraneous is used in the 16th edition to describe things that aren't part of the electrical system, therefore any earth cables associated with extraneous-conductive-parts will always be 'supplementary' to the electrical system.

The definition of an extraneous conductive part has not changed and the main bonding conductors are still the main bonding conductors. Supplementary bonding conductors are supplementary to the main bonding... I can see how the use of English may have caused you this confusion.

If in future years somebody comes up with a way of automatically disconnecting the supply, based on the capacitance of the human body then we will no longer be reliant on eebads. But at this point that seems unlikely, therefore we are stuck with it. For one thing it is the only method of protecting ourselves from 400v phase to phase contact, secondly as we live on a saturated island in the middle of the North Sea therefore it is also the best way to stop people from killing small children and the elderly in their own homes. If you don't believe that you are in contact with earth, buy yourself a neon screwdriver.

If you don't understand this subject - and clearly you don't - what on earth possessed you to write a book about it? You should Google the phrase "unskilled and unaware" and read carefully.

I am also a successful contributor to BS 5839-1, our fire alarm system standards. An awful lot of the amendments that I have put forward have also been deferred to the next major re-write. If Geoff Cronshaw was honest he would also admit that it was me who suggested using rcd's to protect all general purpose socket outlets.

Well, we might find out, as I've asked Geoff for a response. (Although I rather think he may have more pressing matters; working out how to incorporate all your genius suggestions in the first amendment.)

Dear 'Dave the electrical expert'

Im currently writtin a 'book' (well, its more a sort of 'pamphlet' at the moment) on how to build hadron colliders with 'yogurt' 'pots' at the moment. I wonder if you may care to lend some of 'you're' vast experience to help me finish it off.

I currently have about '7' pages and would really llike it to have about '13' to '15' pages before i consider it to be complete.
a small 'excerpt' for your information.

pg1.

i am the bestest person to build big teknical 'things' from plastic containers. Whilst looking in my recycling bin a few days ago i decided to discover the meaning of the universe....
(thats as far as that bit 'goes')

pg5 ( haven't done piges 2 3 or 4)

connect 11.2 million yougurt pots in a big circle...

pg7

please look at my other listings...i have many many teknicle stories to tell/sell you..... many thanks to the iet city and guilds and trading standards (for allowing this publication to go on sale without any challenge)

if you can fill in the missing bits, i would happily add you to my list of 'acknowledgements'

Many thankings in advance 'Dave'

Hi Guys,

All your comments are most amusing thanks for them.

I have had a reply from the Chief Executive of the NIC EIC.

She apologises for the delay in responding which was due to her engineering colleages taking the opportunity to read my publications with interest.
The contents of which were both thought provoking and attention-grabbing.

She then goes on to inform me that the first amendment of BS 7671 : 2008 will now be due for draft for public comment via the BSI website this month!

It would be nice if as many electricians as possible are allowed to pass comment on this amendment of BS 7671 having had a chance to visualize the arguements from all sides.
Therefore please stop writing silly reviews at Amazon.
Perhaps if we all have a chance to give our opinions we can get the thing right this time and once again have a set of wiring regulations that do not need a legal disclaimer.

Regards,

David Cockburn.

I have had a reply from the Chief Executive of the NIC EIC.

She apologises for the delay in responding which was due to her engineering colleages taking the opportunity to read my publications with interest.

It took me five to ten minutes to find errors on every single page - all thirteen of them.

The contents of which were both thought provoking and attention-grabbing.

I have no doubt.

(Note to self: must ask the guys what they think. No offence, but I'd rather hear their verdict from the horse's mouth)

She then goes on to inform me that the first amendment of BS 7671 : 2008 will now be due for draft for public comment via the BSI website this month!
I think every knowledgeable electrician already knew this

Perhaps if we all have a chance to give our opinions we can get the thing right this time and once again have a set of wiring regulations that do not need a legal disclaimer.

Neatly done: It must be the fault of the IEE Wiring Regulations that you don't understand earthing and bonding! Did you ever consider a career in politics?

Therefore please stop writing silly reviews at Amazon.

What is silly about an informed, honest opinion about a publication which may help potential buyers to make a decision whether or not to buy?

Dingbat, you're an instructor type are you not? Could you put up some bonding questions from a 2381 exam and see how Dave does?

Dave, this is not a joke, what you have written is almost completely incorrect. You have used incorrect and dated terminology throughout, you have thrown in random terms (and unrelated electrical terms) here and there, and your grammar is appalling. It also seems that you don't understand the criticisms being put to you, which is rather telling. (Unless you do fully understand, and that's why you're obfuscating so much).

Even the OSG has enough info to learn the basics of bonding - maybe you should read it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back