A challenging place to heat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm having a walk in wardrobe/closet built for a bedroom. I barely have enough space to make this work so all wall space is at a premium and I really don't want to lose any.

The floor will be carpeted and so underfloor heating won't be much use.

Can anybody think of an alternate way to heat the space, ie something ceiling mounted perhaps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Plinth heater as used in kitchens!

Perfect! Why didn't I think of that?? :oops:

I'm not very keen on 'hot air' as a form of heating but this might be the only option

Many thanks :)

Plinth heater? In a bedroom? Make sure you order the optional earplugs for when the fan turns on and off during the night.

What about one of those skirting board radiators or a vertical wall-mounted radiator?

Sponsored Links
Warm air is awesome! 100% efficient and doesn't give you lurgies so why not seriously consider it? I mean, if you were to retrofit I'd tip my hat but admittedly its a stretch.

Think about how crude attaching a chunk of metal to a wall is. :evil:

And just think how carp all those lovely oak doors look with return air grills in em!

I didn't think about the noise of air plinth heaters, this could be a real issue.

Yes it is off a bedroom and the space is 4200mm by 2300mm.

Many thanks

Underfloor heating under carpet can be lovely, just needs to have a tog value of 2.5 or less, most carpets are 1 - 1.5, without an underlay

I'd rather have a slightly off putting doorway than hundreds of kilos of refined metal hanging from the wall of every room! Mind you wet heating has always been horribly in-efficient and only pushed by suits & co.

Things warm air doesn't give you
Asthma
AIDS
Humid walls
Smog filled street outside of your house on a cold morning (tyvm condensing boilers)
Bar regular maintenance (which also needs to be practiced on wet heating) you won't have a plumber at your house every week

Things warm air does give you
Heat
Dry

Install a warm air unit!

The plinth heater expels the heat with an electric fan.

If you must run heating while sleeping then the electric fan is easy to inhibit from operating during the night by a simple time clock.

Since its not a normally occupied room it does not need to be heated during sleeping hours.

Tony

Thank god my house has warm air, I could not be arsed with getting any form of AIDS

:rolleyes:

Underfloor heating under carpet can be lovely, just needs to have a tog value of 2.5 or less, most carpets are 1 - 1.5, without an underlay

Thanks Gav, does what you say apply to electric underfloor heating? Because a water based system would be too difficult to implement in this case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back