A Couple Of Easy Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing some theory work for college and just want to run a couple of things by you guys if you dont mind:-

In Mr. Jones' house I need to add some lighting and power into a new shed, there is an existing shed about 500mm, what I was going to write down was:-

The picture shows the existing shed has power (socket, no light) from this I would extend the ring / radial into the new shed (using twin and earth linking the 2 sheds) to supply the new sockets, for the lighting I would incorporate a 13Amp fused spur and on the load side I would wire to a switch and then out to the new lights. (Again I would need to run the cable accross the gap between the 2 sheds)

Would that be ok?

Next, with bonding in the bathroom I read it should be connected to the lighting circuit, is this good practice or a requirement?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
I was just asking in general if what I was putting down would be acceptable or not, Im not asking for the answers just some pointers.

Edit: just a thought would I be better off installing a piece of tube to protect the cables where they span accross the air?

As for the bonding its something I heard and not sure if I heard it correctly

Ok some pointers

Is the supply to the 1st shed adequate to extend to second shed.

Where is the origin of the 1 st shed.

Obviously you need to take into account external influences, mechanical protection, maximum demand etc etc

As for the bonding question check the OSG there are some pictures in there.

Sponsored Links
thanks for your reply, yes the supply is adequate I was more after yes its ok to feed lights via a unswitched fused spur or no thats wrong?

Lights should normally be fused at B6. If the shed supply has a socket it is probably in excess of that. So you need an FCU with a 3A or 5A cartridge. Also you need to know if the shed is watertight, if not, suitable equipment would be IP rated.

If the shed supply is not in suitable cable with suitable protection and an RCD, you might say it needs to be rectified before you do any work on it.

T&E should not be used outside as it degrades in sunlight and does not give adequate protection. SWA or concentric would be usual.

Without wishing to be needlessly rude, I think you need to lay your hands on some books, and study them. If you are at college your lecturer will be able to suggest some. If the cost is a worry you can usually borrow them from the library, or buy a second-hand copy from a dropout student.

thanks for your comments, I take all your advice on board and will note the cables will pass through conduit between the sheds and the lighting will be fed via an unswitched fused spur (3A)

I will speak to the college, but Im doing distance learning, so everything is much harder

Joke fell flat on its mush...

I meant I was a drop-out with a few spare books....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back