A couple of queries regarding shower fittings/enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Getting to the final stages of my shower room refurb and just wanted to check a couple of things if I may with the experts on here.

Firstly, I have just finished tiling and grouting the shower splashback areas so next step is to install the shower enclosure. Therefore, I need to seal between the tray and bottom tile before I do this, I believe. Ordinarily I'd silicone using a fugi tool and thus a 45 degree angle profile but guess I don't want to do this as this then won't sit neatly behind my aluminium box wall profile thing that the screen slots into? Therefore do I just silicone in the gap as much as possible, then once all installed do a second silicone bead around the bottom of the tile and tray, up to the now installed aluminium wall profile using the fugi tool?

Secondly I have a thermostatic shower valve which has compression olive fittings. The instructions specifically state not to use any kind of sealing compound or PTFE tape. To be honest, I use fernox LSX on all of the compression fittings I've done. Will this cause any issues or is there a reason why these compression fittings don't require it?

If it helps, I've added some photos of my tray/bottom row of tiles, my shower valve that I purchased and the type of enclosure I have to fit.

Attachments

• 1BCAD5B6-CFCB-43B1-9090-AB2E38680EF8.jpeg
    1BCAD5B6-CFCB-43B1-9090-AB2E38680EF8.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 41
  • C4856E82-9F17-43F7-8603-B8B58FD46DE4_1_201_a.jpeg
    C4856E82-9F17-43F7-8603-B8B58FD46DE4_1_201_a.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 1E78F823-6BCA-4B7E-A776-4E267E08A419_1_201_a.jpeg
    1E78F823-6BCA-4B7E-A776-4E267E08A419_1_201_a.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Ordinarily I'd silicone using a fugi tool and thus a 45 degree angle profile but guess I don't want to do this as this then won't sit neatly behind my aluminium box wall profile thing that the screen slots into?
Drill the hole for the wall profiles and silicone the tray up properly, once and done. Fit the wall profiles while the silicone is still soft and it will bed itself in.
I use fernox LSX on all of the compression fittings I've done
No need, but it won't do any harm if you use it sparingly.

Right...ok. Surely that's a bit tricky having one go to place the wall profile exactly where it needs to go at the bottom, without making a mess of the sealant bead?

Right...ok. Surely that's a bit tricky having one go to place the wall profile exactly where it needs to go at the bottom, without making a mess of the sealant bead?
Drill the holes and dry fit it before you silicone. As long as there is silicone behind the profile you can tidy up as required.

The biggest failing is not sealing the wall to tray before fitting the wall profile.

Sponsored Links
Drill the holes and dry fit it before you silicone. As long as there is silicone behind the profile you can tidy up as required.

The biggest failing is not sealing the wall to tray before fitting the wall profile.
Ah right ok I am with you. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back