A couple of small gutter leak problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was out cleaning the gutters yesterday and there are a couple of small problems I was hoping for some advice on please...

1. Where these two pieces meet... It was leaking badly before and has obviously been a problem for a while as there were some attempts to fix with tape. So I took it apart and cleaned it up. It's better now but still leaks a bit. It leaks from both sides. What would the best fix be? The rubber seal bits look ok to my untrained eye but are they the problem? Also, the slot next to where the rubber is, should that be empty or is there a seal missing?

IMG_4208.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

IMG_4210~2.JPG

2. The other thing... Where this higher gutter runs into the lower one, depending on the speed of the water flow, the water sometimes "underlaps" (I made that up!). IE rather than just pouring off the end it runs on the under side of the gutter and when it finally drops it misses the gutter underneath. I hope that makes sense!

IMG_4211.JPG

IMG_4212.JPG

One other thing, does that shape guttering have a name?

Huge thanks

Sponsored Links
Osma do a style of guttering that looks like yours so if
you can get another union that would solve the leaking
gutter joint and I would install a stop end outlet at the bit that keeps missing the lower guttering.

I clean out the brackets thoroughly and apply silicone to the underside of the rubber seals, as they are likely to have been broken free - and stick them down into place. Everything is then reassembled.
There doesn't need to be another seal between the two gutter lengths, but your gap is minimal and may distort in sunshine.
As catlad says, a stop end outlet is needed to control the gutter end better.
John :)

I fear I risk bring chucked off the forum for what's not only a bodgit fix, but a girlie one at that! I've successfully used a hairband to fix the run back problem. To be fair to myself, it is a black hairband. And it's doing the job nicely. From a slow trickle to a full pelt down, the hairband nicely soaks and the water then runs/drips into the gutter below...

IMG_4259.JPG

spacer.gif

I will look into a downpipe and end stop but fear there won't be enough room for that. And I guess while the hairband is doing the job.... Ahem, should I get my coat?

My second pic above where the two ends in the union are too close together... That's my fault that. I moved them thinking that's how they should be. So I've given them more space, around a cm or so. Does that sound about right?

The shape of the gutter. I can see my other photos didn't show it well, so here's a better pic showing the profile:

IMG_4258.JPG

Sealant.... I like the idea of being able to move the gutters when it comes to cleaning etc, so that's a great idea to use sealant beneath the seals. Cheers for that. The seals are loose and easy to remove... Are they not like this when they're new then? Is that what's causing the problem (the waters getting BENEATH the seals)? If not thought I'd that for some reason... Well, I'll see if I can find a replacement part easily, but the fix seems even easier/cheaper, so I'm all up for that!

Thanks for all the helpful replies and sorry for the delay in returning to this.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For the water to run back under the gutter it must no fall on it.
You hair band will soon snap.Avoid silicon on rubber seal as it allows them to distort easily.

Yes, it's a very shallow fall due to the way the fall of the land of and the height of the building...

Ahem - it's not my hair bang! I borrowed it :)

I'll use a dedicated gutter repair sealant it something like The Works/CT1....

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back